Technical Discussion
  >> Home Networking, Internet Connection Sharing, etc.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User flipflop1970
(newbie) Wed 22-Oct-14 19:59:45
Print Post

2 Separate Networks Using One Fibre Broadband Connection

[link to this post]

Good evening folks,
I've tried searching the forums for a solution, but had no luck.
As the title suggests, I want to run 2 separate networks using 2 individual wireless routers but sharing a single fibre optic connection.

My ISP is TalkTalk and I currently have 2 Huawei HG533 routers (1 in use and 1 unused still in the box) and have also recently been sent the new Huawei HG635.

Now, although I'm not a total newbie to networking, I am a little out of my depth here.
What I am trying to achieve is 2 totally separate networks but I do have 1 pc that I would like to have access to on both networks (If that is possible)
The reason for the separate networks is that I want to keep mine and my partners devices on 1 dedicated network and the kids and any guest devices on another. I would also like to give internet priority to me and my partner, as the kids devices can sometimes slow our connection down.
The pc that I mentioned earlier that I would like access to both networks is essentially being used as a media storage and back up device which is accessed by all of us.

I understand that each router will have different SSIDs and IP addresses and be on different channels, but how do I go about achieving what I want? A while ago, somebody did mention that I could do this with 3 routers, 1 being used as a switch, and the other 2 connected via LAN ports to the 1st router, but I still wouldn't know where to start.
I hope I have been clear with my question and hope somebody can help, many thanks in advance.
Standard User B31
(regular) Wed 22-Oct-14 20:07:05
Print Post

Re: 2 Separate Networks Using One Fibre Broadband Connection

[re: flipflop1970] [link to this post]

You can get routers which support multiple VLANs, and/or guest networks.

Might be worth a look at that.

BT ADSL customer getting 1.9 Mbps on a new road / new build development
CAB not FTTC enabled, not part of the 66% commercial plan. Not rural - no BDUK funding
(Virgin Media nearby)
Standard User pmb00cs
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Wed 22-Oct-14 20:23:55
Print Post

If you require physical separation things are going to get tricky, and expensive. As has already been pointed out however it is possible to get a single router that can manage two logically separate networks. Personally I would go with that option. I have a Draytek Router that has this feature, but I have not put it to use so cannot make reliable claims as to how well it works. But I have seen this done with netgear SoHo routers, and would imagine most routers of that broad category should manage to handle multiple logical networks.

happily chugging along on plusnet
My web server

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Wed 22-Oct-14 21:30:27
Print Post

[re: pmb00cs] [link to this post]

One decent router with different wireless networks or vlans is the way to go. If doing on a shoestring one router to host connection then two hanging off it would work but a bit of a mess.

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User flipflop1970
(newbie) Wed 22-Oct-14 22:09:27
Print Post

Thanks for the replies. I had already looked into the vlan option but the cost was somewhat prohibitive, especially considering that there isn't really a totally justifiable reason for me wanting to run dual networks. However if I find a low priced second hand router I may consider it.
If somebody could advise me on how I could set up using the routers that I have got, I would be very grateful,
cheers.
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Wed 22-Oct-14 22:31:05
Print Post

The existing routers you have may not be configurable enough to cope with a dynamic ip on the wan ethernet interface, suspect set up to expect an openreach modem rather than a simpler dhcp server

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User micksharpe
(legend) Thu 23-Oct-14 02:14:48
Print Post

I'm no expert and I haven't done any of these things but here goes.
  1. If you are willing to invest in a new router, you could purchase one with Guest Network Access such as one of the LinkSys Smart Wi-Fi routers or the TP-Link N600. You could then let your kids use the guest network and they should be totally isolated from the main network. This is probably the easiest solution. However, you should research the routers thoroughly to make sure there are no gotchas. For example, the N600 appears to only provide guest access on the 2.4GHz band (with the main network using the 5GHz band). This may not please your kids. You will also need to check that devices on the guest network are not isolated from each other.
  2. If you are willing to flash alternative firmware onto your existing routers, you could look at DD-WRT. This allows you to cascade two wireless routers with network isolation. The big gotcha is that DD-WRT does not yet support the HG533 or HG635, although there appears to be an experimental version that supports the HG533. If you want to try this route, get the HG635 working before you mess with the 533s. If you fancy trying DD-WRT, you could get a couple of modem/routers that are supported. This may not be too expensive.
  3. You could look at cascading your existing routers as they stand. This is possible but I don't know if this will provide the network isolation that you want. Probably not.
Hope this helps. You will need to trawl the Internet forums for further information since this is all that I can provide. However, other TBB users may have comments to make.

Sweet Thames, run softly till I end my song,
Sweet Thames, run softly, for I speak not loud or long.

Edited by micksharpe (Thu 23-Oct-14 02:40:38)

Standard User mixt
(fountain of knowledge) Thu 23-Oct-14 08:02:26
Print Post

This is completely doable. To meet the requirements that you have stated (allowing PC to reach both "networks"), you essentially need a VLAN capable switch, or VLAN capable switch + router combo. You do not need one that supports VLAN tagging (I was going to suggest this method as it is how I have done things, but requires a more advanced setup).

I also say "network" above because the VLAN solution would mean all devices sit on the same IP network (192.168.0.0/24 for example) but the VLAN configuration of the switch is then the method that blocks parts of that network from seeing other parts.

So assuming you already have the FTTC router (you have the modem by the sounds of it), simply purchase a small 4 or 5 port VLAN capable switch. Plug your router in on port 1. Configure the switch so port 1 can communicate with all other ports. Also configure it so that ports 2 and 3 CANNOT communicate with each other. Purchase 2 more dedicated wireless access points and configure them as two distinct networks running on different channels etc. Plug one into port 2 on the VLAN capable switch, the other into port 3 and that's it, you are done.

You now have 2 independent wireless networks that cannot see each other. But all devices can see the FTTC router and get online. Configure port 4 of your switch so it can see all other ports, and plug your PC into that one. You'll be able to see ALL devices on the network on this port. If you wish to stop your children's wireless network from seeing your PC, configure the VLAN switch so that port (2 or 3,in this example) can't communicte with port 4.

You get the idea. Hope this helps!

Zen Unlimited Fibre 2 (60/20Mb FTTC) | IPv6 via HE | » Automated Hourly HTTPx5 TBB Speed Tests «
Previous ISPs » aaisp.net (40/10Mb FTTC) | Virgin Media (50Mb/Cable) | Be* Un Limited (ADSL2+) | Zen (ADSL)
Download Maximiser | BIND GeoDNS | Are you being blÝcked?
Standard User mixt
(fountain of knowledge) Thu 23-Oct-14 08:07:56
Print Post

See my other post. Edimax do wireless access points (2.4Ghz) for £30 a pop. You would need two of them, plus a VLAN capable switch, which would be about £25 or something. So total cost around £85, which can work with your existing setup.

Zen Unlimited Fibre 2 (60/20Mb FTTC) | IPv6 via HE | » Automated Hourly HTTPx5 TBB Speed Tests «
Previous ISPs » aaisp.net (40/10Mb FTTC) | Virgin Media (50Mb/Cable) | Be* Un Limited (ADSL2+) | Zen (ADSL)
Download Maximiser | BIND GeoDNS | Are you being blÝcked?
Standard User BatBoy
(legend) Thu 23-Oct-14 08:42:00
Print Post

[re: mixt] [link to this post]

Here is an example VLAN-capable switch http://www.ebuyer.com/186682-netgear-prosafe-plus-gs...

____________________________________________________________________________All_Quiet_on_the_Western_Front__________________
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to