Technical Discussion
  >> Home Networking, Internet Connection Sharing, etc.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User gremlin054
(newbie) Sat 01-Nov-14 21:30:33
Print Post

BT2700HGV for VoIP behind Virgin Media cable router

[link to this post]

Hello

I've found a whole host of information about the BT2700HGV online, which part answers my queries but I'm struggling to put the final pieces together. I'm running the 6.1.1.22-enh.tm firmware, and wonder if anyone might be able to help.

Essentially I want to connect this to my Virgin Media cable router, and use the BT2700HGV itself for its VoIP capabilities.

I have managed to place the BT2700HGV into bridge mode, and if I connect a machine to it then I can access the internet via. my Virgin Media cable router. However, I don't believe that the router itself has access to the internet. By which I mean, it is unable to update its own time via. NTP and also any of the IP diagnostic tools will fail to ping any external IPs. Most crucially, it appears to be stuck on 'registering..' to my VoIP provider sipgate.

I have tried looking into the idea of setting up static routes, I'm not entirely sure if this is what I need but in any case I have not found a configuration that works as yet. To the best of my knowledge I don't think there is any "better" firmware available that I could upgrade to either.

Any advice, hints or tips would be appreciated!

Thanks
Standard User MHC
(sensei) Sat 01-Nov-14 21:47:37
Print Post

Re: BT2700HGV for VoIP behind Virgin Media cable router

[re: gremlin054] [link to this post]

You may well find it is locked to BT VOIP only.

I use one linked direct to the BT FTTC modem and it works fine when it is the primary device. However, when I put it behind another 2700/2701 or a Hub3 VOIP will not work either.

Can you put the Virgin Media router into modem only mode and try again?

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

M H C

taurus excreta cerebrum vincit
Standard User gremlin054
(newbie) Sun 02-Nov-14 00:20:28
Print Post

[re: MHC] [link to this post]

Thanks MHC.

I've put the Virgin Media router into modem only mode and have pugged it into the BT2700HGV. I've also taken the BT router out of bridge mode such that it will start acting as a DHCP server.

Unfortunately I've not had any success. The ethernet indicator on the VM router lights up amber rather than green (plugging it into another router I have to hand turns it green).

I've also tried turning off DHCP on the Virgin Media router, together with modem mode being turned off, and I've not had any success either. It's almost as if I need to find a Gateway/Router IP on the BT that can refer to something other than itself. It might be worth pointing out that it is the DSL version and so doesn't have a designated WAN/fibre port.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User TMCR
(member) Sun 02-Nov-14 01:51:48
Print Post

Not had problems here running a Sipgate VOIP via the Virgin Media Superhub or Superhub 2. I have a Flexor 151 ATA attached to a port on a hub, connected to the SH. Didn't need to use port forwarding, it just worked.

But, maybe you have to look at port forwarding for your application on port 5060 or whatever Sipgate expects ?

Just a thought.

Virgin Cable (50/3)
Standard User gremlin054
(newbie) Sun 02-Nov-14 03:05:58
Print Post

[re: TMCR] [link to this post]

Thanks TMCR. I can use Sipgate fine using a softphone via. the Virgin Media Superhub. The reason for wanting to use the BT2700HGV is that it has a built in ATA, but I need to somehow get it talking via. the Superhub as the BT2700HGV is DSL only and that's where I'm having difficulties.
Standard User trolleybus
(committed) Sun 02-Nov-14 08:54:16
Print Post

What you are trying to do is going to be very challenging and there may be no solution; it is difficult enough to use another VoIP provider in that router when it is the primary connection. To me you should really be thinking of using an ATA for your desires. About £40 I believe.

However many moons ago I investigate using another VoIP provider on that router and was given this advice although whether any of this still applies I don't know.

-----------

There is a hidden configuration page which you need to use to setup your SIP server details.

Open Internet Explorer or whatever you use, enter in the address box http://192.168.1.254/xslt?PAGE=J62 and press ENTER

Note: If you have changed the IP address of the hub substitute it above.

You should see the Voice - Configure Server page.

If you have any profiles already click the edit button and enter the details for each profile in turn as shown and click the submit button on the edit page to save your entries.

If you don't have any profiles yet click the ADD button and add them.

Before leaving the 'Voice - Configure Server' page (J62) make sure that both profiles, or one if you are only using one, are checked and click the SUBMIT button at the bottom/right of the page.

The rest of the setup is done from the hubs normal front page so just go to http://192.168.1.254 and click the voice network icon at the top of the page.

In Line Settings click on 'Step 2: Set Up Phone Lines'.

Click the Edit button for each line in turn and enter your details.

For Username and Auth Username use your sip authentication id. For callerID you can use your full PSTN number or tick the Anonymous box. When entering your password remember it is case sensitive.

Save your entries by pressing the SUBMIT button.
Before clicking the NEXT button on the Line Information page make sure one or both lines are active by checking the box under activate.

Click NEXT again and then click DONE.

If the bandwidth is set to low change it to high.
Standard User MHC
(sensei) Sun 02-Nov-14 09:48:48
Print Post

[re: trolleybus] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by trolleybus:
Open Internet Explorer or whatever you use, enter in the address box http://192.168.1.254/xslt?PAGE=J62 and press ENTER

Note: If you have changed the IP address of the hub substitute it above.

Not sure if it still applies to the BT variant. The page format use is actually now PAGE=A_0_0 using the _ rather than a straight A00 or in some instances PAGE=BT_OPENZONE

I have both 2701 and 2700 versions here and neither J62 nor J_6_2 brings up a "hidden" page or menu. Have also tried J_0_0, J_1_0, J_0_1 and quite a few more.

One option could be to reflash with non-BT firmware

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

M H C

taurus excreta cerebrum vincit
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Sun 02-Nov-14 11:06:58
Print Post

With no WAN Ethernet port you are stuffed

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User gremlin054
(newbie) Sun 02-Nov-14 16:18:22
Print Post

[re: MHC] [link to this post]

I've found a process for changing the SIP server properties, it involved visiting a seemingly non-existent page and editing that with some new HTML. I think it may well have worked, because when I go to the BT Voice services page and I can attach a "line" it allows me to attach it to a Sipgate profile.

I could be mistaken, but I'm relatively confident that if I can just get the thing online it might work. It just seems that the BT router itself is unwilling to use the Virgin Superhub as a gateway, as the BT even refuses to update its time over NTP and even the IP diagnostic testing fails. I can however, connect to the BT router with my computer and access the internet which has to go via. the Virgin Superhub. To do this I turned routing off on the BT (to stop DHCP) which in turn fixes the IP of the BT, and so I've then changed the IP range on the Superhub. Even still, the BT router itself seems to be oblivious to any connection it can use internally.
Standard User gremlin054
(newbie) Sun 02-Nov-14 16:24:34
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

Thanks MrSaffron, I was worried that might be the answer!

I had looked at a guide on http://bt2700hgv.tripod.com/108.htm which seems to indicate that it might be possible, and indeed clients connected to the BT2700HGV can access the internet (which has to be via. the Virgin Superhub) however, the BT2700HGV seemingly refuses to connect. It's internal diagnostics can ping the superhub, but the BT router itself doesn't seem to have a router to the internet (despite its clients working).

Quite possible that it's just a hard limitation that's going to stop me getting any further.
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to