Technical Discussion
  >> Home Networking, Internet Connection Sharing, etc.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User bluesea
(committed) Sun 23-Nov-14 09:36:30
Print Post

Replacement for Netgear DG834G?

[link to this post]

I'm looking to replace my 7-year-old Netgear DG834G which has performed very well but is now having various problems.

I've done a bit of research and it seems the Netgear DGN2200 is a decent replacement for the DG384G.

The higher-priced DGND3700 is an alternative - apparently there were issues with the firmware but these have been fixed.

Can anyone recommend a good replacement? I'd like to stick with Netgear. I'm tempted by the DGN2200.

Thanks!
Standard User XRaySpeX
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Sun 23-Nov-14 20:36:40
Print Post

Re: Replacement for Netgear DG834G?

[re: bluesea] [link to this post]

One consideration you may want to make: (Some of) The DG834G's allow you to get full router stats via Telnet, but some of the newer Netgears don't.

1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU => 2011: Orange 20 Meg WBC
Standard User bluesea
(committed) Sun 23-Nov-14 22:26:58
Print Post

[re: XRaySpeX] [link to this post]

That's interesting. I find it useful to get full stats via telnet.

Does anyone know which of the newer Netgear routers don't have this facility?

I'll have a Google but I doubt I'll be able to find out easily!

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User bluesea
(committed) Mon 24-Nov-14 17:20:05
Print Post

Done a bit of Googling and found more than I thought I would.

I can't find the info I really want though - how good the wireless range of these newer models are compared to the DG384!

It seems the DGND3700 had problems with ADSL1 lines when it first came out, but those problems have now been fixed. I believe my line's ADSL2 (or 2+?) anyway.

RouterStats works with the DGN2200 and v2 of the DGND3700 (but seemingly not v1 - different chipset I assume). Apparently Telnet is more difficult to enable on the DGN2200.
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Mon 24-Nov-14 18:21:36
Print Post

Range wise was happy with my DGN2200 but now gone FTTC its a Asus RT-N66U or TP Link WDR 4300 that I run all the time.

price has come down a lot to £43 now compared to what I paid in 2010 and at £42 I'd say it is a good purchase.

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User bluesea
(committed) Mon 24-Nov-14 22:53:02
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

Thanks - useful info.

I was leaning towards the DGND3700 but I'm not sure its higher price is justified. I don't mind paying more for something that's better and will give greater performance though!
Standard User woodroyd
(regular) Tue 25-Nov-14 09:32:33
Print Post

[re: XRaySpeX] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by XRaySpeX:
One consideration you may want to make: (Some of) The DG834G's allow you to get full router stats via Telnet, but some of the newer Netgears don't.

Beware of the Netgear DGN2200. I had one before I switched to Infinity2.
It worked a treat but I could not understand why the lights were flashing like mad sometimes. I wondered if someone nearby was using my router so I kept on changing the password, but it had no effect.
Went on to these forums and found that the DGN2200 could easily be hacked.
Do a search and it will probably come up.
Binned it like a shot and went with the superfast broadband.
Just a word of warning.
Standard User cpaw99
(newbie) Tue 25-Nov-14 12:14:54
Print Post

Iíve been using a DGND3700 for nearly 2 years without any problems (with the router, ISPís are something else).

I have a number of computers and other bits connected by cable and Wi-Fi mostly running XP.

My download speed is usually between 5 and 6 Mbps which isnít bad as Iím a couple of miles from the exchange and ISPís predictions are 1 to 3.5Mbps.

Nice things - I can setup a Guest Wi-Fi network so visiting friends can have Internet access without being able to access my systems. The router has 2 USB ports, one I use to turn my old HP 9300 printer into a network printer and the other has a portable hard disk acting as network storage.
  Print Thread

Jump to