Technical Discussion
  >> Home Networking, Internet Connection Sharing, etc.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User eckiedoo
(experienced) Sun 23-Nov-14 15:18:29
Print Post

chromecast

[link to this post]

Can "chromecasts" and other similar devices connect Windows PCs to TVs, to display spreadsheets, word processors etc on the larger TV screen?

Effectively, will such devices act as a simple substitute for a VGA cable or an HDMI cable?

Are they readily movable to other TV/PC combinations; or are they in any way tied to one pairing?

For example, could I readily use such a device with my travelling PC netbook, both to a TV at home; and then in to a hotel TV when travelling?

Also is a mains adaptor required for the device or can one rely on the TV USB ports having the necessary supplies?

----------------

I do not have any Android devices, which seem the natural "mates" for the "chromecast" and another device I looked at.

---------------

I can effectively do such connections, using two PCs linked by TeamViewer, with one of the PCs having an onward cable connection to the TV; but this is not generally convenient when travelling.
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Sun 23-Nov-14 17:10:48
Print Post

Re: chromecast

[re: eckiedoo] [link to this post]

The Chromecast will only show streaming media that is compatible with it. It is not a way of getting the PC screen onto a TV wirelessly.

I believe this £22.99 device will do what you want.

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User eckiedoo
(experienced) Sun 23-Nov-14 18:16:53
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

Thanks, Andrew.

Just ordered one - will post results when I have tried it.

Still interested if anyone else has experience of this specific device, as well as the Chromecast.

Edited by eckiedoo (Sun 23-Nov-14 18:19:12)

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User mixt
(fountain of knowledge) Sun 23-Nov-14 22:12:56
Print Post

Recently bought 2 chromecasts, though don't think I've uncovered all of their features yet.

Certainly, from what I can see, they are specifically designed to work with the Chrome browser. If I am watching a movie via Plex inside Chrome, I can cast this to the Cromecast and have the movie image transferred directly to the TV, with control remaining in the browser. From observing the network traffic, the Chrome browser plugin and chromecast work together where by - the plugin tells the chromecast device to start streaming "bla movie" on "media server bla" from "bla location" at "bla resolution". So there is no relaying of the traffic from the media server to my laptop, then onto the chromecast - it's a complete switch over (and then back, if I stop casting).

As for MrSaffron's comment, the Chromecast will stream the contents of your chrome browser window using the Google Cast plugin. This is useful for streaming iPlayer (or anything else video related on the internet), in your browser, and sending the entire browser window to the Chromecast for viewing on your TV.

The device you've ordered looks to be the closest for what you're trying to do though.

As for the USB side of things, I have both Chromecasts running off USB power on both TVs - no problems at all there.

Zen Unlimited Fibre 2 (60/20Mb FTTC) | IPv6 via HE | » Automated Hourly HTTPx5 TBB Speed Tests «
Previous ISPs » aaisp.net (40/10Mb FTTC) | Virgin Media (50Mb/Cable) | Be* Un Limited (ADSL2+) | Zen (ADSL)
Download Maximiser | BIND GeoDNS | Are you being blÝcked?
Standard User tthom
(member) Sun 23-Nov-14 22:32:19
Print Post

Not sure about the hotel room because the chromecast needs internet to work and you could run into issues with their wifi...

And You can mirror the desktop but it is in beta stages

I have one and there a great bit of kit just need alot more of development

Broadband Providers since 2005 Aol/O2/Virgin Media(Cable)/BE/BT/BT-INFINITY
[img]http://www.speedtest.net/result/3798886040.png[/img]

Edited by tthom (Sun 23-Nov-14 22:33:20)

Standard User BatBoy
(legend) Mon 24-Nov-14 00:05:38
Print Post

[re: tthom] [link to this post]

This explains how to mirror the desktop via Chromecast http://allaboutchromecast.com/chromecast-how-to-guid...

____________________________________________________________________________All_Quiet_on_the_Western_Front__________________
Standard User tthom
(member) Mon 24-Nov-14 10:10:07
Print Post

[re: BatBoy] [link to this post]

I guess you were meaning to reply to the OP lol

Broadband Providers since 2005 Aol/O2/Virgin Media(Cable)/BE/BT/BT-INFINITY
[img]http://www.speedtest.net/result/3798886040.png[/img]
Standard User eckiedoo
(experienced) Wed 26-Nov-14 15:02:25
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

Afternoon Andrew

That dongle, 1Byone iShare, arrived yesterday; and basically it is doing what I want to do, subject to my becoming more acquainted with it.

It is let down by a miniscule, poor instructions leaflet. I had to scan it at 2400 dpi, to get it on to my main PC at an almost legible state. And the illustrations ...

Handily, the dongle etc that attach to the TV set, can be moved to other suitable TVs without further changes, after setting up on the first.

There are three variations of the software depending on the versions of Windows, with some overlapping; and I have successfully installed appropriately with Vista (possibly some limitations in application, Windows 7 and Windows 8.1 - the latter being apparently the most flexible.

The MAC OS is associated with the Windows; but as I do not have any MACs, nor Androids nor iOS (iPad/iPhone) I can't comment on those.

The dongle usually is powered from a USB connection on the TV; but can be powered by a separate USB-power source, if not available on the TV.

There is a short HDMI extension cable included, in cas the dongle is prevented from fitting on the TVHDMI, the latter being designed with simple cable connections in mind.

One modification I would like to see is a small repeat of what is going to the TV, being shown on the PC scgreen, which would be helpful particularly when connecting up to a TV not in the immediate vicinity, rather like Skype having the small image from the local camera.
Standard User andygegg
(regular) Wed 26-Nov-14 17:15:24
Print Post

The chromecast comes with a mains adapter in the box. Some say it gives a more stable device (though I've not seen any problems) and allows software updates when the TV is switched off.
Standard User eckiedoo
(experienced) Fri 28-Nov-14 12:13:46
Print Post

Some more developments about the 1Byone iShare dongle.

I have now tried it on three "PCs"

1 My main HP Tower PC using the top Windows 7/8.1 software.
This loaded up and worked very easily, including that it simultaneously would connect to the dongle via WiFi and would also go out on-line via its Ethernet-cable connection to my router.

2 An elderly Samsung Netbook running XP.

This also loaded up and worked very easily, using the bottom/third XP version of the Windows comms software.

3 The ASUS Netbook running W7 STARTER, that I intend using the dongle with, as this is the PC that I take on my travels.

I first tried the W 7/8.1 Software; but there seems to be some conflict, so having found the XP version easy on the other netbook etc, I installed that instead.

This is now working fine, using that XP dongle software.

--------------------------

From experience of previously using the ASUS directly on hotel WiFi, I have found that I got faster connection etc by logging it in to my Tower at home (about 400 miles, 640 KMs), then remotely using the Tower and its FTTC/VDSL connections to traipse around the Web.

Experimentally, I have now done this at home, incidentally proving that the dongle effectively sets up its own WiFi Hotspot.

To do this, I temporarily switched of my local WiFi, cross-checking with inSSIDer that this was the situation. The tower has both WiFi and Ethernet cable available.

I logged into the dongle etc from the tower, then wandered out on the Web with its Ethernet cable, with its screen "mirrored" on the dongle-connected TV.

Cross-checked during the test and afterwards, that there were no signs of my local WiFi, until switched back on.

-------------------------

As mentioned previously, the dongle will take power from the TV's USB port; but I have also checked that it can be sourced from the netbook, using one of the self-coiling USB Extension cables, connected to the ASUS netbook - although this obviously limits the distance between the TV and the netbook, so reducing the flexibility of the arrangement.

-----------------------

I have not found a LINUX version of the dongle software for my older LINUX tower - unlikely to need it - but I can access it via TeamViwer on all of my PCs,

----------------------

Must now go back and check that the ASUS Netbook will handle two simultaneous WiFi connections - it seemed to at one point yesterday - but later apparently lost that ability - possibly with changing the dongle software.

I have got a BT WiFi dongle, which might be of use for this.
  Print Thread

Jump to