Technical Discussion
  >> Home Networking, Internet Connection Sharing, etc.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User woodroyd
(regular) Wed 26-Nov-14 09:27:40
Print Post

Wi-Fi Hotspot

[link to this post]

I have finally sorted out the idiosyncrasies of the BT HomeHub5 but still unhappy with the reach of the Wi-Fi.
I have switched off the 5Ghz channel as a complete waste of time. Reach is poor and if any one else is on in it loses connection.
My router is in a downstairs bedroom where the BT master socket is and my little home office, with my laptop permanently wired to the router.
Way over the other side of the gaff is the tele, sky box and dvd recorder that I have connected up to a Netgear 5 port Ethernet switch connected by a 35m cat5 cable.
Unfortunately the Wi-Fi is very weak. I have read about hotspot equipment that can be connected up through the powerline, such as the BT Wi-Fi Home Hotspot 500 Kit, but I would have thought that there must be something I could just connect up to the switch to create a hotspot.
I have done the usual searched but cant't find anything suitable.
Any suggestions?
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Wed 26-Nov-14 11:05:17
Print Post

Re: Wi-Fi Hotspot

[re: woodroyd] [link to this post]

It is called a wireless access point and connects to existing network using Ethernet

Though some wireless routers also include a wireless access point mode.

The range of 5GHz is lower than 2.4 GHz due to the attenuation of walls.

What buy depends on budget e.g. there are Linksys units at £100 that are ideal for ceiling mount, thus avoiding clutter at usual shelf height down to the TP-Link kit in the £20 to £40 range.

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User philippercival
(fountain of knowledge) Wed 26-Nov-14 11:35:07
Print Post

Delighted with my TP-link TL-WA901ND about £37.00

http://speedtest.net/result/2459383290.png

Solar Results
2013 3521kwh   2014 3208kwh (so far)

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User woodroyd
(regular) Wed 26-Nov-14 12:32:50
Print Post

[re: philippercival] [link to this post]

Thanks for that. It says the cable powers the AP and it is virtually plug and play with the Wps button. What worries me is the other stuff it mentions. Access point client, universal WDS repeater, wireless bridge. I have no idea what these things are and could not set them up.
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Wed 26-Nov-14 13:09:45
Print Post

The Ethernet cable supplies the broadband connection but not normally the actual power supply.

It will work with PoE which is power down an Ethernet cable, but don't believe you meant that.

The other stuff they are just different operation modes, basically when setting it up you want to use the Access point mode which is most likely to be the default mode of operation.

While the WPS button is nice, they are security risks of leaving WPS enabled, and you should always change the encryption keys for the wireless network from the default supplied by the router.

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User woodroyd
(regular) Wed 26-Nov-14 17:38:45
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

How do you know all this? They never had it at my school. Mind you, Japan had just surrendered.
Standard User philippercival
(fountain of knowledge) Wed 26-Nov-14 18:26:00
Print Post

In reply to a post by woodroyd:
Thanks for that. It says the cable powers the AP and it is virtually plug and play with the Wps button. What worries me is the other stuff it mentions. Access point client, universal WDS repeater, wireless bridge. I have no idea what these things are and could not set them up.

It also comes with a power supply. AS far as I remember it was more or less a case of plugging it in connecting it to the ethernet cable and it worked. I did go to the management screen, change the password and make sure that DHCP was switched off as that is dealt with by another device on the network.

http://speedtest.net/result/2459383290.png

Solar Results
2013 3521kwh   2014 3208kwh (so far)
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Wed 26-Nov-14 19:06:48
Print Post

I was born before they landed on the moon, just a lot of reading and playing with kit

Standard User ian72
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Thu 27-Nov-14 10:05:14
Print Post

In reply to a post by woodroyd:
How do you know all this? They never had it at my school. Mind you, Japan had just surrendered.

Very few schools teach anything useful about IT anyway - everything to do with IT that most of us know has happened since leaving formal education.
Standard User gomezz
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Thu 27-Nov-14 15:42:25
Print Post

[re: ian72] [link to this post]

A lot of what happened in IT that is worth knowing happened before many of us started formal education.

BT Infinity 1 (unlimited)
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to