Technical Discussion
  >> Home Networking, Internet Connection Sharing, etc.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User Sloth3636
(newbie) Mon 08-Dec-14 21:13:56
Print Post

Internittant loss of router Wifi

[link to this post]

Our TP-Link TD-W8970 router is WiFi and Ethernet connected. WiFi connection to the router is lost by all WiFi users (Desktop, 4 phones and 4 laptops) approx three times a week at totally random times. When WiFi connection is lost the Ethernet machine is unaffected and remains connected to the BB and interrogation of the router from the Ethernet machine shows the router status including WiFi status as normal.

WiFi is re-established in 3-8 mins. The TP-Link router is 1 week old and the previous Netgear router suffered the same problem. I suspect something is interfering with my WiFi transmitted signal. Operation and use of the central heating boiler, house alarm, cordless phone, mobile phones and car key fobs do not appear to influence the loss of the router WiFi.

Is there anything I can use to assess the radio frequencies in my house to understand better why I am loosing router WiFi signal. Any other ideas would be welcomed.
Standard User mrmarktigger
(newbie) Mon 08-Dec-14 21:26:33
Print Post

Re: Internittant loss of router Wifi

[re: Sloth3636] [link to this post]

Hi Sloth3636,

I had this problem before on 2.4GHz wifi before. If you havn't tried already, try changing the channel used for wifi on your router settings. It worked for me.

For 2.4GHz I found it's best to only use channels 1, 6 or 11. Most routers use one of these as the default for 2.4GHz. So if it's on say 6, try 1 and or 11 sand so on. It fixed the problem with mine.

Hope that helps.
(newbie) Mon 08-Dec-14 21:33:28
Print Post

[re: mrmarktigger] [link to this post]

P.S. If it's on 5GHz wifi you are having this problem ou could try changing channels, but I'm not sure which channels are good or bad to use on 5GHz.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User Sloth3636
(newbie) Mon 08-Dec-14 21:42:07
Print Post

Hi mrmarktigger,
Thanks for your help. Will definitely try this. Thanks.
(newbie) Mon 08-Dec-14 21:54:45
Print Post

[re: Sloth3636] [link to this post]

You're welcome Sloth3636.
Standard User prlzx
(experienced) Thu 11-Dec-14 22:57:02
Print Post

In reply to a post by mrmarktigger:
but I'm not sure which channels are good or bad to use on 5GHz.

In order of preference,
the indoor-only channels: 36, 40, 44, 48
then the first DFS band: 52, 56, 60, 64
then finally the upper band: 100 - 140 (also used outdoors and WISPs in unlicensed mode).

Observe that in 40MHz mode, "36 + upper" and "40 + lower" are the same pair of bonded channels (and so on),

If in doubt, auto is ok, but if you can check channel usage you can look for a 40MHz gap, but if the other APs are on auto they will move around anyway. It's less of an issue than on 2.4GHz.

Wiki Ref

prompt $P - Invalid drive specification - Abort, Retry, Fail? $G
prlzx on iDNET: ADSL2+ / 21CN at ~4Mbps / 700kbps with IP4/6
  Print Thread

Jump to