Technical Discussion
  >> Home Networking, Internet Connection Sharing, etc.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User xreyuk123
(learned) Thu 11-Dec-14 14:28:56
Print Post

Can anyone recommend a good wireless ac router?

[link to this post]

Hi guys,

I have a phew wireless ac capable devices in the house now and would like to invest in a router. Can anyone make any recommendations?

I usually like TP-Link stuff because it's well priced and always worked for me. However I'd like to know is it possible to run wireless ac, at the same time as running wireless N networks on both the 2.4Ghz and 5Ghz bands?

Thanks

Standard User MHC
(sensei) Thu 11-Dec-14 15:18:47
Print Post

Re: Can anyone recommend a good wireless ac router?

[re: xreyuk123] [link to this post]

Why get another router?

Why not get an -ac compliant WAP and connect that to the router. I prefer to have Modem, Router, 3xWAPs leaving each to do their own job and you can then select the device in each category that meets your needs.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

M H C

taurus excreta cerebrum vincit
Standard User xreyuk123
(learned) Thu 11-Dec-14 16:01:35
Print Post

[re: MHC] [link to this post]

Unfortunately I don't have any more power outlets (or space) available for an extra device.

Plus it will be a Christmas present off someone so I won't have to pay, so why not laugh

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User Garyilka
(knowledge is power) Sat 13-Dec-14 09:12:39
Print Post

I've been using the Netgear Nighthawk since it was released:-

http://www.currys.co.uk/gbuk/computing-accessories/n...

Not the prettiest router around and certainly on the 'chunky' side, but it performs faultlessly and has a great range. Pays to shop around - may get it cheaper on eBay or Amazon etc., etc.
Standard User brush
(newbie) Mon 15-Dec-14 10:45:47
Print Post

I bought a d-link DSL-3580L a few months back & although not top of the range have found it to be reliable & performance is good. Should be able to get this for just under £100. I bought it more as a future proofing purchase rather than being able to take advantage of the AC capabilities so can't offer an opinion in that area.
It runs fairly cool & like a lot of newer devices can only be placed upright on a shelf or other horizontal surface - this is what helps the cooling. The interface is a tad old fashioned but it allows you to change almost any aspect of the config & I'm running a near "standard" config letting the router default at initial setup. I've disabled 5ghz wireless 'cos I don't have any adapters at that rate, my fixed devices all use Ethernet via power-line adapters & I've disabled things like UPnP & WPS. Wireless performance on my smartphone is good.
Hope that helps
  Print Thread

Jump to