Technical Discussion
  >> Home Networking, Internet Connection Sharing, etc.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User joconnell
(experienced) Mon 05-Jan-15 16:26:06
Print Post

Very useful network cable tester

[link to this post]

I've came across this very useful network cable tester which I've since received as a Christmas pressie and have played around with it a little. One very useful feature that I haven't found in any other cable testers at the same price point or less is that you can test the ethernet cable at one point rather than needing someone at the other end of the cable being tested to monitor the remote test unit and tell you whether the pin being tested has passed or failed.

Oh, and it's also a digital multimeter. I've tested it with a few patch cables but when I get a chance I'll try it out with with my home LAN infrastructure cabling to see how well it works.
Standard User MHC
(sensei) Mon 05-Jan-15 17:51:05
Print Post

Re: Very useful network cable tester

[re: joconnell] [link to this post]

I have a nice little £2.50 tester. Two part device - connect the remote end and return to the master, switch on and it checks all conductors and has both RJ45 & RJ11 sockets.

Does yours tell you if a pair are switch or shorted? Mine will but both ends need monitoring for that.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

M H C

taurus excreta cerebrum vincit

Edited by MHC (Mon 05-Jan-15 17:57:55)

Standard User joconnell
(experienced) Tue 06-Jan-15 10:48:19
Print Post

[re: MHC] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by MHC:
I have a nice little £2.50 tester. Two part device - connect the remote end and return to the master, switch on and it checks all conductors and has both RJ45 & RJ11 sockets.

Does yours tell you if a pair are switch or shorted? Mine will but both ends need monitoring for that.

Which one do you have? Is it a generic no name device?

According to the specs and reviews the Tenma does detect switched pairs and shorts

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User MHC
(sensei) Tue 06-Jan-15 11:07:48
Print Post

[re: joconnell] [link to this post]

Have a look at: http://www.made-in-china.com/showroom/oswaldzhang/pr...

Then a Google search for CHL-468 will bring up suppliers.

If I connect a RJ45 terminated 4-pair the master and slave should both cycle through: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 and with RJ-11 6 way, 1 2 3 4 5 6

Using a 6 way phone cable where 3-4 and 4-3 brings up the sequences 3 4 on the master and 4 3 on the slave hence the need to see both ends. the master always gives the correct sequence whereas watching the slave will show where the errors are - one person can do it, it just needs them to move from end to end.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

M H C

taurus excreta cerebrum vincit
  Print Thread

Jump to