Technical Discussion
  >> Home Networking, Internet Connection Sharing, etc.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User mlmclaren
(experienced) Sun 11-Jan-15 15:18:25
Print Post

Edimax Pro Experiences?

[link to this post]

Hi

So I'm looking for a fast access point with support for VLAN and a good broadcast power to cover my home and home office.

I've come across a Edimax Pro WAP1750 Access Point, the specs seems to suit my requirements but not too sure about the brand for reliability.

Has anyone else every used equipment from Edimax, if so how have you got on, and maybe someone has one of these Access Points..

Here's a link to the product page: http://www.edimax.com/edimax/merchandise/merchandise...

Regards.

@networkmclaren - Perfection Junkie
VirginMedia 152/12 OVERUTILIZED - BQM - SpeedTest - It's The Final Countdown!
Plusnet 3776/640 - BQM - SpeedTest
Standard User MHC
(sensei) Sun 11-Jan-15 15:37:19
Print Post

Re: Edimax Pro Experiences?

[re: mlmclaren] [link to this post]

Is it approved for use in Europe?

ETSI regulations restrict the power level on a 2.4 GHz WAP to 20 dBm the device claims 27.5 dBm. An exact calculation based on actual power and antenna gain should be made to confirm the legality of the unit.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

M H C

taurus excreta cerebrum vincit
Standard User mlmclaren
(experienced) Sun 11-Jan-15 15:42:54
Print Post

[re: MHC] [link to this post]

Thanks for your input,

Now does anyone have an answer to my question!

Plusnet 3776/640 - BQM - SpeedTest

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User BatBoy
(legend) Sun 11-Jan-15 15:49:05
Print Post

Why not just buy it and post a review. I'm sure you'll be able to get your money back if it doesn't wok.

____________________________________________________________________________All_Quiet_on_the_Western_Front__________________
Standard User dandnsmith
(experienced) Mon 12-Jan-15 08:21:03
Print Post

Ihave Edimax EW-7728APn Range extender/Access Point which I have used successfully for a couple of jobs - the only problem I had was working out which mode I needed to set it to, otherwise it worked well as an access point.
I also have several wifi dongles which are working well.
HTH

Derek
Standard User mixt
(fountain of knowledge) Mon 12-Jan-15 12:43:21
Print Post

I bought and still own several of these units (Edimax EW-7416APN): http://www.amazon.co.uk/Edimax-EW-7416APN-Wireless-E...

and they have worked pretty much flawlessly. I purely use them in AP mode now, DHCP provided by another unit. Very reliable, including the VLAN feature which allows you to setup another 3 different SSIDs running on different VLAN tags.

However, I lost one unit due to a firmware upgrade that went wrong (it ended up bricked so I binned it). Not sure why the firmware update went wrong on that one unit because the same update went on fine to 2 other units without issues.

Overall, in my experience, good reliable kit - not got anything bad to say about them.

Zen Unlimited Fibre 2 (60/20Mb FTTC) | IPv6 via HE | » Automated Hourly HTTPx5 TBB Speed Tests «
Previous ISPs » aaisp.net (40/10Mb FTTC) | Virgin Media (50Mb/Cable) | Be* Un Limited (ADSL2+) | Zen (ADSL)
Download Maximiser | BIND GeoDNS | Are you being blÝcked?
Standard User mlmclaren
(experienced) Mon 12-Jan-15 12:46:09
Print Post

[re: mixt] [link to this post]

Great good to here, will order this ASAP!

Plusnet 3599/864 - BQM - SpeedTest
Standard User mlmclaren
(experienced) Mon 19-Jan-15 10:35:30
Print Post

Well I order it, received it, tried it for a few days but the features where very limited to what the specs sheet says... can't set 5ghz channels above 48 and in auto it won't switch higher even though both my neighbours are taking up the channels 36 - 48, then vlans seem to have an option I need greyed out...

Also long range my ....

Not very advanced for a "Pro" product

Re-packaged and being collected by amazon tomorrow, this will be the 3rd WAP I've sent back to them now.

Think I will try a Linksys LAPAC1200 next!

VirginMedia 152/12 OVERUTILIZED - BQM - SpeedTest
FTTC Coming Soon!
Standard User mixt
(fountain of knowledge) Mon 19-Jan-15 15:13:27
Print Post

That is unfortunate.

I don't think the units I got were classed as "pro", just standard units really. I agree though, it sounds like it should have been able to deliver more features than what you've said.

However, in all honesty, if I wanted something which was "pro", I most probably have gone with something like Cisco or something more business grade. Downside is it costs more.

Keep us updated on the Lynksys route!

Zen Unlimited Fibre 2 (60/20Mb FTTC) | IPv6 via HE | » Automated Hourly HTTPx5 TBB Speed Tests «
Previous ISPs » aaisp.net (40/10Mb FTTC) | Virgin Media (50Mb/Cable) | Be* Un Limited (ADSL2+) | Zen (ADSL)
Download Maximiser | BIND GeoDNS | Are you being blÝcked?
Standard User mlmclaren
(experienced) Mon 19-Jan-15 15:19:06
Print Post

I've read a lot of good things about some of their other AP's and there unit cheap too I see but unfortunately my house needs dual band to spread the load due to many wireless devices...

I have a Linksys LRT224 Dual WAN VPN Router so compatibility should be better, also I was going to buy the Linksys WAP but then I saw the Edimax... I hope it works or I'm going to be buying about 6 cheap WAP's and sticking them in every room

VirginMedia 152/12 OVERUTILIZED - BQM - SpeedTest
FTTC Coming Soon!
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to