Technical Discussion
  >> Home Networking, Internet Connection Sharing, etc.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User ukwoody
(experienced) Tue 13-Jan-15 20:23:23
Print Post

Static Ip for fttp question

[link to this post]

Hi all,
I upload my weather data via http every few moments. Problem is my connection is a bit unreliable and my Ip address keeps changing. I need a way to keep a static Ip address so I can securely upload to my site.

I know i can buy a static IP from a 3rd party company, but isnt that only for people "dialing" into to me rather me "dialing" out??? POBroadband doesn't seem to offer them - when I explained what one was!
woody

regards,
Woody (chuntering along in his own inimitable style, using 100 words when 10 would do)
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Tue 13-Jan-15 20:38:41
Print Post

Re: Static Ip for fttp question

[re: ukwoody] [link to this post]

A 3rd party static ip is no use. If you need a static ip your broadband provider needs to supply it.

Presume the static is so you can limit access to your current ip on the weather server

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User ian72
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Wed 14-Jan-15 09:13:59
Print Post

Most UK consumer broadband services don't offer static IPs. There are a few that do (I know PlusNet do for a one off £5 charge, Zen offer it as standard, suspect people like AAISP may do as well but haven't looked). Big ISPs like BT, Sky and TalkTalk don't offer them on their consumer packages but may on business packages.

as it stands you would have to change ISP to get a static IP. The question, which MrS has also asked, is why specifically do you need a static IP? What is the security issue for weather data uploads which are presumably not sensitive data?

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User longedge
(member) Wed 14-Jan-15 10:04:36
Print Post

I don't know if it's relevant to your needs but I installed and setup 'Cumulus' for my brother-in-law on his web space a while back. Updates are by ftp every 5 minutes and it has been running faultlessly for months now. The Cumulus package comes with a set of easily adapted web pages. I run it myself on my own weather station but I haven't bothered setting it up on my web site.

P.S. - He doesn't have a fixed IP by the way.

Edited by longedge (Wed 14-Jan-15 10:15:32)

Standard User ukwoody
(experienced) Wed 14-Jan-15 10:09:56
Print Post

[re: ian72] [link to this post]

Thanks for replying guys.

In order to upload the data to my site via fttp I have to grant access to it and whitelist the IP address.

I have two other options, but one would involve allowing a large block of IP addresses which I would have to try and find out (PObroadband supplied by talktalk) and leave it less secure, or allow global access, which I am very reluctant to do.

My webhost is brilliant and I will have a chat with them this morning and see what they can suggest from their end, and if they feel I would be compromising much by allowing global access. I wouldn't know how to go about trying to find the allocated block (if there is one now) for the PO.

Thanks again
woody

regards,
Woody (chuntering along in his own inimitable style, using 100 words when 10 would do)
Standard User ian72
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Wed 14-Jan-15 10:17:06
Print Post

OK, in which case either you have to lower the security (and most people probably don't seriously lock down their webhost for personal use unless they are uploading sensitive data) or change ISP to one of the ones that does support static IPs.
Standard User ukwoody
(experienced) Wed 14-Jan-15 10:32:15
Print Post

Perhaps I should have spoken to my webhost (Clook) first. They are so helpful and prompt.

I will allow global access with a slight mod, and create a complex password.

Thanks for help gents

woody

regards,
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Wed 14-Jan-15 10:35:24
Print Post

Your webhost may allow an IP range to be set in the firewall, which will reduce the size of the open window.

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User ukwoody
(experienced) Wed 14-Jan-15 11:08:25
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

Thanks MR S, yes they do , but I cannot locate the IP range the PO use via TT

regards,
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Wed 14-Jan-15 11:23:25
Print Post

They use various ones, so a difficult ISP to pin down. We have a long list of them, and far too many for you to want to configure them I guess.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to