Technical Discussion
  >> Home Networking, Internet Connection Sharing, etc.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User Woolwich
(member) Mon 19-Jan-15 20:21:15
Print Post

LAN to LAN VPN with two FritzBox 7490 s

[link to this post]

Anyone connecting a couple of LANs together over VPN using FritzBoxes? I'm pretty sure I'm following the instructions but all I get in the logs is

19.01.15 20:08:19 VPN error: myfakevpnserveraddress.com, IKE-Error 0x2005

and there's no help entry for that error.

Can LAN to LAN over VPN actually be done on a couple of FritzBoxes!?
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Mon 19-Jan-15 20:40:09
Print Post

Re: LAN to LAN VPN with two FritzBox 7490 s

[re: Woolwich] [link to this post]

If both lans are using same ip range it can mess things up, so try using a different ip range on one of them

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User Woolwich
(member) Mon 19-Jan-15 20:50:13
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

Yes, thanks, different subnets. VPN works in general, just having trouble with the LAN to LAN.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User Woolwich
(member) Tue 20-Jan-15 08:32:41
Print Post

Does anyone have a config file which they created using the "Configure FRITZ!Box VPN Connection" software? Its a Windows only application so I can't use it on my Mac network.

There's a kind of example file at http://en.avm.de/fileadmin/user_upload/EN/Service/VP... (PDF) and I'm wondereing if I can adapt this for my connections.

I assume the AVN config app produces two files, one for each FritzBox. What I'm not sure about is the shared-secret password, if it needs to be of a certain length or format.

But I don't see why I can't add these details manually, which is were I'm failing so far!
Standard User BatBoy
(legend) Tue 20-Jan-15 11:59:54
Print Post

Seems to be a common problem, where people have changed the config files without fully understanding what to do http://www.ip-phone-forum.de/showthread.php?t=275714

____________________________________________________________________________All_Quiet_on_the_Western_Front__________________
Standard User Woolwich
(member) Wed 21-Jan-15 12:01:53
Print Post

[re: BatBoy] [link to this post]

Solved! For now but don't know why!

I can make a Fritz!Box to Fritz!Box LAN to LAN VPN connection only when using the IP address of each connection and not a fully qualified domain name.

AVN's instructions are to use a dynamic DNS domain or one of their own using the myfritz.net setup. I was also told I could use my own FQDN. That didn't work for me and my suggestion is some kind of DNS lookup failure by the router. I didn't try using their dynamic address.

I know my FQDN is correct as a lookup returns the correct IP address of each network connection and I can make a single user VPN connection using it.

I'd rather be using the domain name address as it makes it easier to see which connection is which - if anyone has any ideas!
  Print Thread

Jump to