Technical Discussion
  >> Home Networking, Internet Connection Sharing, etc.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User RLG
(newbie) Tue 10-Feb-15 09:21:11
Print Post

Home network issues

[link to this post]

I work for an electrical firm and have been roped in to install and connect the structured cabling throughout a very large house.

All the cables (69 of them) have been tested using a cable tester which comes up like this:

1-1-1
2-2-2
3-3-3
4-4-4
5-5-5
6-6-6
7-7-7
8-8-8

Obviously this is all good, as it shows a 0 when the connection is not terminated properly, or the numbers are crossed over when they are terminated wrong.

My problem is that when trying to connect to the internet via the ethernet ports, most of them are not working.

I've tried connected the port directly to the router instead of the switch, does not work

I've tried all the ports on the switch and these are fine.

I don't get why some are working but most are not.

HELP!
Standard User ian72
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Tue 10-Feb-15 09:56:23
Print Post

Re: Home network issues

[re: RLG] [link to this post]

How good is the cable tester? Is it a decent model? If it is a cheap model it may be it isn't recognising issues with the cables. The fact some work and some don't suggests there is something wrong with the termination.

Are you terminating at sockets? If so are they screw terminals or punch down IDCs? I had problems with some sockets I had bought as no matter how well they were punched down they didn't work - swapping out the socket fixed the issue.
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Tue 10-Feb-15 10:04:35
Print Post

One presumes a PC directly into the router with a patch cable works?

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User RLG
(newbie) Tue 10-Feb-15 10:23:23
Print Post

[re: ian72] [link to this post]

The cable tester is decent, it's my CCTV tester with this function built in. I use it for when testing IP cameras and it hasn't failed me yet. Cost me £100.

I've checked some of the punch down terminations and they all look good, so I can't rule out faulty sockets. But just seems unlikely given the amount.
Standard User RLG
(newbie) Tue 10-Feb-15 10:24:56
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

Yes plugged directly into the router or switch works like a dream.
Standard User micksharpe
(legend) Tue 10-Feb-15 11:49:17
Print Post

No auto-crossover (at both ends)? Unlikely these days, I know, but still possible.

Sweet Thames, run softly till I end my song,
Sweet Thames, run softly, for I speak not loud or long.
Standard User RLG
(newbie) Tue 10-Feb-15 11:55:38
Print Post

[re: micksharpe] [link to this post]

No auto-crossover.
Standard User billford
(elder) Tue 10-Feb-15 12:03:29
Print Post

Worth getting a few of these to see if that's the problem on the links that don't work?

Bill
A level playing field is level in both directions.

_______________________________________Planes and Boats and ... ______________BQMs: IPv4 IPv6
Standard User Jez_
(newbie) Tue 10-Feb-15 12:17:18
Print Post

As a first port of call i would try setting your test laptop to manual 10mbit (assuming it is trying to negotiate at 1gbit) Then step it to 100mbit and re-test.

Perhaps the cables are too long and its failing to negotiate?
Standard User ian72
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Tue 10-Feb-15 12:25:18
Print Post

[re: billford] [link to this post]

I have to assume the same kit is being used to test all the cables - hopefully plugging in to a switch at one end and a laptop at the other. If we can rule out differences in kit then it is only the cable and sockets being tested.

For testing I would use the same switch port, the same patch cables, the same network drop lead and the same laptop. That leaves the only difference being the actual structured cabling.
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to