Technical Discussion
  >> Home Networking, Internet Connection Sharing, etc.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User michty_me
(member) Wed 11-Feb-15 12:46:14
Print Post

Homeplugs killing IP profile

[link to this post]

Afternoon all,

I've been running my fibre broadband for a few months and it appears to have remained solid at around a 71Mb line profile.
I purchased some Solwise 1200AV2 homeplugs for using for the PC upstairs, PS4 and PS3. I was having issues with getting them working at first as the max download speed I could achieve was roughly 1Mb. This has since sorted itself and has been pulling in files around 7.2MB/s. This has since dropped to roughly 6.5MB/s and my IPprofile has now gone from 71Mb to 62Mb.

For the record I have only powered off the ECI modem twice in the past week so I doubt it is due to me disconnecting etc.

Can the IP profile fluctuate or should that remain pretty constant?
I'm guessing the homeplugs are causing interference with the modem which is causing issues to my profile?

The modem and router are plugged into the rear of the homeplug via the filtered passthrough connection.
Standard User dsergeant
(member) Wed 11-Feb-15 17:53:00
Print Post

Re: Homeplugs killing IP profile

[re: michty_me] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by michty_me:
I'm guessing the homeplugs are causing interference with the modem which is causing issues to my profile?

Very likely. Homeplugs transmit in the range from about 2MHz to 30MHz or higher and are known to radiate from some mains installations. VDSL broadband uses up to 10-15MHz. If you have overhead telephone and mains wiring of possibly it is quite possible this is the reason though I have not heard it mentioned before.
Standard User MHC
(sensei) Wed 11-Feb-15 18:06:01
Print Post

[re: dsergeant] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by dsergeant:

Very likely. Homeplugs transmit in the range from about 2MHz to 30MHz or higher and are known to radiate from some mains installations. VDSL broadband uses up to 10-15MHz. If you have overhead telephone and mains wiring of possibly it is quite possible this is the reason though I have not heard it mentioned before.

In the UK VDSL2 uses up to 17.664 MHz - that is why it is called profile 17a

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

M H C

taurus excreta cerebrum vincit

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User michty_me
(member) Wed 11-Feb-15 18:16:27
Print Post

[re: dsergeant] [link to this post]

Thanks, I just discovered a powerbrick connected directly next to the homeplug and not through the filter. This has now been moved to the filtered rear of the homeplug. I'll leave it over night again and see if it has any effect.
Standard User TheEulerID
(member) Wed 11-Feb-15 19:26:37
Print Post

71 to 62mbps is consistent with the reduction you might expect from interleaving being turned on. That can happen if the line has become unstable. Stats from the modem ought to tell you whether interleaving is on or not (and the difference between the data rate and the maximum achievable will be high - perhaps 8-9mbps).
Standard User michty_me
(member) Wed 11-Feb-15 19:39:57
Print Post

[re: TheEulerID] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by TheEulerID:
71 to 62mbps is consistent with the reduction you might expect from interleaving being turned on. That can happen if the line has become unstable. Stats from the modem ought to tell you whether interleaving is on or not (and the difference between the data rate and the maximum achievable will be high - perhaps 8-9mbps).

That makes sense then as my ping times have increased a good amount too.
I don't think I can get router stats on my modem/router combo. I think the best thing to do is remove them from the mains and wait to see if my line recovers. Ill need to check my internal wiring when I power down the modem as there are several extensions on the circuit. It just seems to be too much of a coincidence to me after having months of stability to using the homeplugs.
Standard User mixt
(fountain of knowledge) Wed 11-Feb-15 20:19:36
Print Post

I have 3 Devolo 500 AV units. One is right next to the VDSL master socket, plugged into a power socket. FTTC has been running at 60/20 for the past 9 months with no drop outs or change in sync (interleaving etc).

Could possibly be down build quality of the units, I suppose. I don't know enough to say, or know anything about Solwise compared to Devolo. I do notice some high pitch sound emanating from the Devolo unit when a high amount of traffic is passing through it, but as I said, I see no detrimental affect on the VDSL sync speed.

One thing I do have is a shielded RJ11 cable coming from the master socket into the BT VDSL modem. But I do wonder if that really helps at all considering the normal unshielded phone cable coming into the socket is still in close proximity to the Devolo unit. Only reason I have a shielded RJ11 is because I just like to do things "right", where at all possible.

Not sure what else to suggest other than swap to an alternative brand (if you really feel it is the units causing the problems) or downgrade back to 40/10 (which I do plan to do once my contract is up) which will not push the line sync as high, making it more stable.

Zen Unlimited Fibre 2 (60/20Mb FTTC) | IPv6 via HE | » Automated Hourly HTTPx5 TBB Speed Tests «
Previous ISPs » aaisp.net (40/10Mb FTTC) | Virgin Media (50Mb/Cable) | Be* Un Limited (ADSL2+) | Zen (ADSL)
Download Maximiser | BIND GeoDNS | Are you being blÝcked?
Standard User michty_me
(member) Wed 11-Feb-15 20:27:30
Print Post

[re: mixt] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by mixt:
I have 3 Devolo 500 AV units. One is right next to the VDSL master socket, plugged into a power socket. FTTC has been running at 60/20 for the past 9 months with no drop outs or change in sync (interleaving etc).

Could possibly be down build quality of the units, I suppose. I don't know enough to say, or know anything about Solwise compared to Devolo. I do notice some high pitch sound emanating from the Devolo unit when a high amount of traffic is passing through it, but as I said, I see no detrimental affect on the VDSL sync speed.

One thing I do have is a shielded RJ11 cable coming from the master socket into the BT VDSL modem. But I do wonder if that really helps at all considering the normal unshielded phone cable coming into the socket is still in close proximity to the Devolo unit. Only reason I have a shielded RJ11 is because I just like to do things "right", where at all possible.

Not sure what else to suggest other than swap to an alternative brand (if you really feel it is the units causing the problems) or downgrade back to 40/10 (which I do plan to do once my contract is up) which will not push the line sync as high, making it more stable.

I'm not sure about build quality being an issue or not as I thought solwise items were regarded as on par with the devolo brand.

It is very coincidental that I've developed a line fault on the same day as installing the homeplugs. I might go through all my internal wiring and disconnect extensions that are not being used. See if I can find anything physically wrong first. I should have probably just stuck with WiFi but thought home plugs may have been better for ping times on the ps4/ps3
Standard User michty_me
(member) Wed 11-Feb-15 20:50:36
Print Post

[re: mixt] [link to this post]

I forgot to add that I use shielded cables for everything that I could change in that area to prevent this exact issue.
Standard User michty_me
(member) Thu 12-Feb-15 00:09:41
Print Post

I'm not sure about build quality being an issue or not as I thought solwise items were regarded as on par with the devolo brand.

It is very coincidental that I've developed a line fault on the same day as installing the homeplugs. I might go through all my internal wiring and disconnect extensions that are not being used. See if I can find anything physically wrong first. I should have probably just stuck with WiFi but thought home plugs may have been better for ping times on the ps4/ps3

Mistake number #2. I've just realised that the OR engineer never used my shielded cables. I'm going to add these tomorrow when I'm checking the internal wiring. I found a few threads with the same issue as myself and a shielded RJ11 cable has resolved a lot of issues.
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to