Technical Discussion
  >> Home Networking, Internet Connection Sharing, etc.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User joego
(newbie) Thu 12-Feb-15 17:49:33
Print Post

Looking for advice on getting my speed on my network

[link to this post]

I have moved this post from Fiber as was told that was the wrong forum.

Hi I am new to the forum and this is my first post so please forgive if not in the correct format. I am also no IT or broadband expert so some of my terminology is not the best I am sorry.
I signed up with Virgin Cable from Talk Talk ADSL about 12 months ago, at first I was with the 50 Mbps cable service, then in November last year I decided to upgrade it to the 100 Mb connection, but I have not ever got a 100 Mbps on speed tests so this week I called Virgin to come and check it out the installation. What I learnt from their visit was that although 100 Mgps was being delivered to the Virgin superhub and that my PC was compatible with the 100 Mbps as it had 1 Gbps Ethernet card installed the problem was the connection in between the superhub and the PC. The hub is in my living room near the Smart TV for an easy and close connection for On Demand TV,but the PC is in another room at the back of the bungalow and is connected via a TP 500 power line adapter however the Virgin Tech said that the 500 was restricting the speed as I needed a new 1Gbps power line adapter such a Develo or ZyXel or alternatively I could run a cat 6 cable round my bungalow to the back room where the PC is located and that would mean the PC would be hard wired directly into the hub and give me the best connection to achieve to 100 Mbps speed that I am paying for. Another option is to get Virgin to move their hub to the same room as the PC and use wireless on the Smart TV.
I am looking for advice and thoughts on this from any others who have experiences in this situation and particularly if the 1Gbps power line adapters work as stated and are worth the £120 + price tag? Also is hard wiring with cat 6 the better option or will cat 5 be OK? Any constructive comments or advice would be helpful.
Standard User MHC
(sensei) Thu 12-Feb-15 17:58:59
Print Post

Re: Looking for advice on getting my speed on my network

[re: joego] [link to this post]

I personally do not like "Home Plugs" and will never use them or recommend them.

If you can, run infrastructure cabling it is always the best solution. You will certainly get 100Mbps in Cat5e cable and here I have 1Gbps over Cat5e.

Cat5e is significantly smaller in diameter than Cat6 and a lot more flexible making it easier to run (and cheaper). You can, in a lot of cases, run it along the bottom of a skirting board and then ease it underneath to hide it.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

M H C

taurus excreta cerebrum vincit
Standard User 961a
(newbie) Fri 13-Feb-15 09:38:56
Print Post

Re: Looking for advice on getting my speed on my network

[re: MHC] [link to this post]

MHC is right

Homeplugs will generally wreck the whole objec t of fibre broadband

Go for the cable. No doubt it will be a pain to fit but it will do the business

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread

Jump to