Technical Discussion
  >> Home Networking, Internet Connection Sharing, etc.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User WannabeMKII
(experienced) Thu 26-Feb-15 18:23:14
Print Post

One internet connection, 2 separate networks

[link to this post]

I'm after some assistance with regards to sharing an internet connection (it's all above board, it's to save on having a second connection added).

What we want to achieve is have two, totally independent / isolated networks that can't see each other, but sharing the single internet connection into the building.

Also, we 'may' only be able to connect to the existing connection through wireless, as we're not sure if we can get a cable to where we need it, so would be great to have an option for both options.

Can anyone assist?
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Thu 26-Feb-15 18:45:09
Print Post

Re: One internet connection, 2 separate networks

[re: WannabeMKII] [link to this post]

Plenty of routers can operate two or more independent Wi-Fi networks with different IP ranges and isolation between them.

Connecting via Wireless for the source network might make it a bit more tricky, not seen a wireless bridge that will do what you want, but could do wireless bridge --- Ethernet --- your nice dual network router ---- the two networks using their own wireless connections.

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User Towerman
(newbie) Fri 27-Feb-15 14:23:53
Print Post

In reply to a post by WannabeMKII:
I'm after some assistance with regards to sharing an internet connection (it's all above board, it's to save on having a second connection added).

What we want to achieve is have two, totally independent / isolated networks that can't see each other, but sharing the single internet connection into the building.

Also, we 'may' only be able to connect to the existing connection through wireless, as we're not sure if we can get a cable to where we need it, so would be great to have an option for both options.

Can anyone assist?

What you are asking it to is to run a Triple Router Y-Configuration
(Devices on each network separated by their WAN ports)

It works by having a Master Modem/Router (192.168.1.1) connected to the Internet, and having two Slave Routers cascaded off it LAN to WAN, and the separation of users occurs because of the Firewall between the two Router's WAN ports.

Assuming you have routes with WAN ports on them
Firstly connect an Ethernet cable from each Slave routers WAN ports to a LAN port of the Master router.

Master Router

Step 1 Setup up your Username and Password for PPPoA/E on your Master Router
Step 2 Assign a static IP address to Slave 1 (Slave Router 1), in this case assign it the static IP of 192.168.1.2
Step 3 Assign a static IP address to Slave 2 (Slave Router 2) of 192.168.1.3
Step 4 Turn wireless off
Step 5 Turn DHCP off

Slave 1

Step 1 Set the router subnet to 192.168.2.x
Step 2 Set the DNS to the IP of the Master Router (192.168.1.1)
Step 1 Make sure DHCP is enabled

Slave 2

Step 1 Set the router subnet to 192.168.3.x
Step 2 Set the DNS to the IP of the Master Router (192.168.1.1)
Step 3 Make sure DHCP is enabled

That's it!!!

Now the devices on each routers subnets are separated by their dedicated WAN ports!!!

I have just done this so that the kids (and their friends / guests) are on one wireless network and their connection supervised by OpenDNS family protection and bandwidth limited and also shuts down at night wink . The second secure network is for us adults only smile

The main router is downstairs next to the BT point. One port is connected to a Home-plug transferring the connection up to the study to another Home-Plug and then connected into a 5 port TPlink switch box.
From there cables go to each of the WAN ports on the SLAVE routers

Richard

Edited by Towerman (Fri 27-Feb-15 14:38:09)

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Fri 27-Feb-15 15:30:54
Print Post

[re: Towerman] [link to this post]

Didn't mention this in last post, but hardware that supports VLAN tagging does exist that can create different LANs for the different interfaces on the router.

Netgear Nighthawks (at least R8000 model) and people seem have also used DD-WRT firmwares on stuff like Asus RT-N66U to play around with it.

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User WannabeMKII
(experienced) Tue 03-Mar-15 18:57:35
Print Post

[re: Towerman] [link to this post]

Sorry, was away on a long weekend laugh

Now this is an interesting option! What routers are you using to achieve this?

I happen to have an Asus RT-N66U spare, so could play with that, but I don't really have much spare time, so I'm ideally looking for something quick, easy and reliable as don't really have the patience to 'play around'. If all those things can go together is another thing...
Standard User Towerman
(newbie) Wed 04-Mar-15 20:40:19
Print Post

W.

Main Router / Modem - Speedtouch 585V6 - was already using this.

Just added these I got off Flea-Bay

Slave 1 - Asus RT-N16
Slave 2 - Asus RT-N66U

Took about 30 min to set up once got everything together smile

Richard

Edited by Towerman (Wed 04-Mar-15 20:42:50)

Standard User IanBB
(member) Wed 04-Mar-15 21:13:41
Print Post

I'm doing that currently with a Technicolor TG582n.

Main network (ethernet & wireless SSID1) uses 192.168.1.*

Guest network/hotspot (wireless only SSID2) uses 192.168.10.*

By default the guest networks' devices are isolated from each other but that can be changed easily by modifying the routers config file.
  Print Thread

Jump to