Technical Discussion
  >> Home Networking, Internet Connection Sharing, etc.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User dvder
(newbie) Sat 28-Feb-15 21:52:16
Print Post

Replacing BT Homehub but keeping Openreach modem with BT TV

[link to this post]

I know parts of this have been discussed here and elewhere, but I've not found everything yet for my particular challenge.

I want to replace my BT Home Hub 4 with my own 802.11ac wireless access point. However, as I already have the Openreach VDSL modem, I don't want to pay for another.

The problem is, the only devices I've found recommended are expensive VDSL modem/routers. This appears to be due to a problem with how BT TV Youview uses multicast and how that is supported in the router.

So, I am worried about the possible impact on my BT TV Youview box, but I don't want to fork out for features I don't need (i.e. yet another VDSL modem).

Are there any people who have succcessfully kept their Openreach modem but swapped out the homehub for a generic access point and managed to keep BT TV working properly?

Thanks in advance for any advice. smile
Standard User ian72
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Mon 02-Mar-15 08:27:01
Print Post

Re: Replacing BT Homehub but keeping Openreach modem with BT

[re: dvder] [link to this post]

I did - but it wasn't an AC router (it was a Billion 7800). It is a router you need rather than an "access point" - the two have different functions.

Have you checked out this thread where various users have posted about different routers and how to get them working with multicast? That might give you pointers as to suitable solutions.
Standard User dvder
(newbie) Mon 02-Mar-15 11:48:46
Print Post

[re: ian72] [link to this post]

Thanks for this, a useful resource.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User rhetherington
(member) Tue 03-Mar-15 12:46:14
Print Post

[re: dvder] [link to this post]

I wrote about how to enable it under OpenWrt.
  Print Thread

Jump to