Technical Discussion
  >> Home Networking, Internet Connection Sharing, etc.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User gizmo1990
(learned) Mon 02-Mar-15 22:41:35
Print Post

Netgear DG834G can't get IP address after factory reset??

[link to this post]

I've got an old netgear DG834G router whic has given me faithful service. However I'd begun to notice a lot of buffering and waits so I rang my provider up to see if anything was the matter their end. During the course of the chat they told me to do a factory setting reboot. After doing this the router fails to find a IP address.. Occasionally it does but win 7 still reports Network - no internet access and I can't get online. Shortly after it'll lose the IP address again too. frown

My provider is suggesting getting another router to test but I'm unsure that it could be that? It was working (all be it slowly!) before this factory reset and yes it is old but could it be that it's broken? Any ideas guys? Could a factory reset have caused this?

Internet light comes on fine btw and my login and password are entered correctly.
Standard User micksharpe
(legend) Mon 02-Mar-15 22:58:32
Print Post

Re: Netgear DG834G can't get IP address after factory reset?

[re: gizmo1990] [link to this post]

Could be the power supply. Netgear PSUs have a bit of a reputation.

Sweet Thames, run softly till I end my song,
Sweet Thames, run softly, for I speak not loud or long.
Standard User gizmo1990
(learned) Mon 02-Mar-15 23:02:30
Print Post

[re: micksharpe] [link to this post]

Thanks for the reply.
Thing is it turns on fine? Internet light blinks orange, then stays a constant green, as normal. Surely if it was a power issue it wouldn't even turn on?

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Mon 02-Mar-15 23:24:04
Print Post

If you have reset to factory defaults you will have to configure the internet connection. Have run the connection wizard on the routers web interface

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User gizmo1990
(learned) Mon 02-Mar-15 23:43:06
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

Hi mrSaffron, yep run the connection wizard and entered everything my ISP told me to do. It all checks out, I can see their downstream (20114 Kbps) and upstream (1087 Kbps) connection speed, set the vpi to 0 and vci to 38. Entered my login and password etc.

But under router status it refuses to show an IP address?? Sometimes it does if I select 'test' in basic settings an IP address does appear. But my pc is not noticing it and still displays the yellow triangle and !. It will then promptly lose it again and display nothing under IP address.

I just don't get it? frown Could the factory reset have broken the router? I'm worried I'll go out tomorrow and rush buy a router but get it home and find it doesn't work either! I'm desperate to get my net access back for work.

Edited by gizmo1990 (Mon 02-Mar-15 23:45:00)

Standard User petsy
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Tue 03-Mar-15 08:03:17
Print Post

Out of interest is your isp sky?
Standard User gizmo1990
(learned) Tue 03-Mar-15 08:31:47
Print Post

[re: petsy] [link to this post]

No phone coop.
Standard User woodroyd
(regular) Tue 03-Mar-15 10:07:48
Print Post

Get rid of it. I had one and noticed that the light was flashing madly when no one in the house was using. I went on to the forums and discovered that this router was easily hacked. Very easily hacked. As it happened I was soon to change over to BT Infinity 2 so I was supplied with a HH5. I did a bit of sniffing round to see who could have broken into the router and I suspect that it was one of my neighbours. I couldn't understand why it kept happening as I kept changing the user name and the password without stopping the hack. A few months later thinking about it, I realised that I had not turned off Wi-Fi while I was changing the passwords and was probably being watched as I did it.
I repeat, bin it. There are plenty of good routers around for just a few quid.
Standard User stepdey
(newbie) Tue 03-Mar-15 13:41:04
Print Post

[re: woodroyd] [link to this post]

I too have the Netgear DG834G v3, and have been using it for well over 5 years now with no problems. I am on TalkTalk Simplybroadband, and am over two miles from the exchange and getting approx 3.09 Mbs download when I now checked the speed.
I realise I am not offering a solution to the original posters problem, but I would say that I consider the router is still an excellent piece of kit and hope that he finds a solution to his problem.
Standard User cheshire_man
(knowledge is power) Tue 03-Mar-15 15:31:24
Print Post

Is the DG834G the same as DG834GT.

I've been using the latter for several years, so far no problems apart from an occasional (every 4 months or so) drop out of the Wireless Access Point - I just disable the WAP and re-enable it and it's fine for the next few months.

Tony
We have more and more laws, and less and less enforcement
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to