Technical Discussion
  >> Home Networking, Internet Connection Sharing, etc.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User mlmclaren
(experienced) Thu 05-Mar-15 00:37:27
Print Post

What Next!

[link to this post]

So I'm upstairs streaming a bit of Now TV and all of a sudden, WiFi signal seems to jam, now this happens around the same time every night...

Next door has a baby, I think the issue is a Baby Monitor interfering with my 2.4Ghz WiFi, So how do I sort this... seems like I can't short of buying and forcing my neighbors to use another baby monitor.

Now I have 3 WAP's as i live in a big house with thick walls, all other AP's are fine, just upstairs WAP that jams, I've tried changing channels and switching between 20/40mhz...

I have a 5Ghz WAP downstairs and that does get weak coverage upstairs for my laptop, phones and tablets don't work so well though and Now TV and some other devices don't support 5Ghz... I also don't fancy paying out another £100-£150 on another Dual Band PoE AP.

So am I stuck with the one option of dictating to my neighbors what equipment they can use to monitor their child?
Standard User MHC
(sensei) Thu 05-Mar-15 01:06:28
Print Post

Re: What Next!

[re: mlmclaren] [link to this post]

Just think of your neighbours ... they may well be rather annoyed by you too for using a device that interferes with their baby monitor.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

M H C

taurus excreta cerebrum vincit
Standard User rippedcotton
(experienced) Thu 05-Mar-15 01:31:26
Print Post

The 2.4GHz band is an ISM band, Industrial Scientific Medical. This is unlicensed spectrum in which licence-exempt equipment may be used, your WiFi is suitably tested and CE marked as is their baby monitor I expect.

Microwave ovens leak a lot of energy when they're running, but generally the gaps between pulses are sufficient to keep WiFi and Bluetooth operating.

The problem you are experiencing is expected in a dense RF environment.

--

Brian

Zen Fibre 2

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User mlmclaren
(experienced) Thu 05-Mar-15 01:33:28
Print Post

[re: MHC] [link to this post]

Will that be the case though?

Also what came first on 2.4Ghz Wi-Fi or Baby Monitor?

Besides that not my issue, my issue is lack of internet upstairs!
Standard User mlmclaren
(experienced) Thu 05-Mar-15 01:42:45
Print Post

[re: rippedcotton] [link to this post]

Had no idea it was unlicensed... That would explain why so many devices use it then.

So would I be right in saying I'm screwed then!
Standard User brightd
(experienced) Thu 05-Mar-15 08:01:03
Print Post

Do you know your neighbours well? At the moment you are not sure that it is the baby monitor. Why not work with them to check that the baby monitor is the source of the problem by getting them to test it at another time of the day to ensure that really is the cause. Once you have worked with them to do that you could then discuss how you might best solve the problem between you, particularly if your signal is affecting their baby monitor in the same way that their signal may be affecting your WiFi.

David

Infinity 2 over FTTP from BTBroadband
Standard User Stevenage_Neil
(committed) Thu 05-Mar-15 08:09:52
Print Post

Have you tried Inssider, or something similar?
Standard User ian72
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Thu 05-Mar-15 08:17:43
Print Post

[re: Stevenage_Neil] [link to this post]

Inssider won't find the baby monitor. You would need full on RF scanning to do that which when I last looked could be fairly expensive.
Standard User MHC
(sensei) Thu 05-Mar-15 09:22:11
Print Post

The Baby Monitor !

The only way round it is to work with the neighbours ...

Not too surprised it is affecting all channels - a relatively high power transmitter close to your PC receiver will swamp the whole front end not just a single channels.

Ask them exactly where it is ... is it against te part wall? can it be moved across the room.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

M H C

taurus excreta cerebrum vincit
Standard User mlmclaren
(experienced) Thu 05-Mar-15 09:30:13
Print Post

[re: MHC] [link to this post]

I will speak with the neighbours but I the issue here is the manufacturers still making devices that are limited to 2.4Ghz...

Even worst, companies are still manufacturing faster technologies on 2.4ghz using basically all the spectrum for one WAP!
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to