Technical Discussion
  >> Home Networking, Internet Connection Sharing, etc.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User pxr5
(regular) Thu 19-Mar-15 11:58:16
Print Post

Gigabit Intermittent Speed one way

[link to this post]

Hi all,

I've just had BT Infinity 2 installed and a HH5 supplied. I have a main PC which runs a media server so once everything was up and running I did some tests. All running with CAT6 on Gigabit ports

Using LAN Speed Test (or a file copy), from a Laptop to the main PC through the HH5 the send element of the test runs fine - approx. 90MB/s and consistently. On the receive test the speed maxes out at 60MB/s but dips all the time, dropping to 1MB/s sometimes. The same effect is seen with a file copy - one way (send) is fine, the receive is intermittent. Running LAN Speed Test or a file copy from the Main PC to Laptop, the send is flakey, whilst the receive is OK.

I've checked on the HH5 that negotiation is at 1 Gbps, and set all network adapter to full/Gbps. Based on some online suggestions I've set Large Send Offload for IPv4 and IPv6 to disabled, and disabled IPv6. Still the same though.

Any thoughts please.
Standard User MHC
(sensei) Thu 19-Mar-15 12:19:49
Print Post

Re: Gigabit Intermittent Speed one way

[re: pxr5] [link to this post]

Limitations of the PCs?

I have a Gigabit capable installation however the maximum I see is around 700Mbps. The cards are capable however memory access, or drive read/write may not be.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

M H C

taurus excreta cerebrum vincit
Standard User MCM
(fountain of knowledge) Thu 19-Mar-15 13:48:13
Print Post

The rate determining step is almost certainly going to be the hard drives (reading or writing) rather than the LAN. In addition to the actual speed of the hard drive, drive fragmentation can be a factor as can the size of the files being copied. For example large contiguous files tend to copy faster than a large number of smaller files.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User pxr5
(regular) Thu 19-Mar-15 13:59:19
Print Post

[re: MCM] [link to this post]

MHC, MCM. Thanks for the replies. In my limited diagnosis thus far I have replaced the Gigabit Laptop with an older 100 Mbps port one. Again whilst sending from this I get 92 mbps rate and on receive anything from 30 to 92 Mbps, but it was fluctuating a lot. With my previous Thomson router and with everything else the same I could achieve 90/90 Mbps consistently. The only thing changed is the HH5 router. Strange.
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Thu 19-Mar-15 21:16:48
Print Post

Not all Ethernet switches are created equal, try a third party switch rather than using the one in HH5

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User Als
(experienced) Sat 21-Mar-15 14:47:22
Print Post

I use Lan Speed Test Lite, download from Here
If transfers a file from memory via the Lan & eliminates any hd bottlenecks. You'll get a better idea of what your speeds are.

Als
Standard User pxr5
(regular) Sat 21-Mar-15 21:47:24
Print Post

[re: Als] [link to this post]

Yes thanks, that's what I've been using
Standard User pxr5
(regular) Tue 24-Mar-15 18:20:18
Print Post

Well just an update. It's definitely the HH5 as I put a switch in and it was much better - not perfect but no dramtic drops.
Standard User rogerfp
(member) Tue 24-Mar-15 19:19:00
Print Post

Just to give you a comparison, I'm running a full gigabit network. By that I mean that all network ports on all PCs are gigabit. All cables are Cat 6 (apart from one which I'll tell you about later). Even the upstairs to downstairs which is run on external Ethernet is Cat 6. I'm have 5x Trendnet gigabit switches all connected via an Asus DSL-AC68 modem/router. All 5 PCs are using Sata 111 SSD's of either 1tb or 512gb. The real world transfer rates I achieve are normally around 90 -110 MB/s, rarely less than 80 MB/s dependant on file type and multiplier. The one cable I mentioned earlier is a Cat 5 which unfortunately is partly under a laminate floor so difficult to update, however I still achieve 85/95MB/s transferring files, possibly because it's only about 3m long and is terminated with Cat 5e wall plates. For a Gigabit network this is what I would be aiming for. Personally I wouldn't touch any HomeHub with a barge pole as I consider them to be a cheap and nasty piece of hardware.

Edited by rogerfp (Tue 24-Mar-15 21:10:49)

Standard User MHC
(sensei) Tue 24-Mar-15 21:03:34
Print Post

[re: rogerfp] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by rogerfp:
Just to give you a comparison, I'm running a full gigabit network. By that I mean that all network ports on all PCs are gigabit. All cables are Cat 6 (apart from one which I'll tell you about later). Even the upstairs to downstairs which is run on external Ethernet is Cat 6. I'm have 5x Trendnet gigabit switches all connected via an Asus DSL-AC68 modem/router. All 5 PCs are using Sata 111 SSD's of either 1tb or 512gb. The real world transfer rates I achieve are normally around 90 -110 Mbs/s, rarely less than 80 Mb/s dependant on file type and multiplier. The one cable I mentioned earlier is a Cat 5 which unfortunately is partly under a laminate floor so difficult to update, however I still achieve 85/95Mb/s transferring files, possibly because it's only about 3m long and is terminated with Cat 5e wall plates. For a Gigabit network this is what I would be aiming for. Personally I wouldn't touch any HomeHub with a barge pole as I consider them to be a cheap and nasty piece of hardware.

You are happy with a Gigabit network that has transfer rates of just under 100 Megabits per second? I woudl not be.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

M H C

taurus excreta cerebrum vincit
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to