Technical Discussion
  >> Home Networking, Internet Connection Sharing, etc.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User zyborg47
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Thu 16-Apr-15 07:54:11
Print Post

computer disconnects from router

[link to this post]

This is a strange one and started before I had plusnet, but I thought it was something else.

For some reason my computer will disconnect from the router, I have used wireless, direct and also now Homeplugs,. I have tired two different routers, used fixed ip addresses on the computer and still does the same.

When it happens the only way I can get it back is by disabling the adaptor and re-enabling it or doing a troubleshoot.

When it happens my phone still connects to the net and so do other devices, it is just my main machine.
I am using windows 8, but it happens with ten, but it do not happen with Linux or windows 7

Getting annoying now to be honest.
Any ideas?

Thanks

Adrian

Desktop machine now powered by windows 8 pro 64bit, no dreaded metro and Linux , laptop by Linux

Plusnet FTTC
Standard User brightd
(experienced) Thu 16-Apr-15 08:51:03
Print Post

Re: computer disconnects from router

[re: zyborg47] [link to this post]

My guess is that this is related to the drivers for your network adapters on the operating systems that you have a problem with. Try uninstalling the adapters and deleting the drivers and then re-installing them.

David

Infinity 2 over FTTP from BTBroadband
Standard User azrael316
(learned) Thu 16-Apr-15 10:17:11
Print Post

Driver issue.

Try turning off the option that allows Windows to "Turn this device off to aid power saving", or however its phrased.

I had a similar issue and that cured it.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User zyborg47
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Thu 16-Apr-15 11:07:41
Print Post

[re: azrael316] [link to this post]

I thought it was drivers, but this is happening on both wireless and ethernet. I know the drivers for the wireless was beta and still is beta.
I switch of power management ages ago.
Thanks for the replies, I have put new drivers on the ethernet and see if that helps.

Adrian

Desktop machine now powered by windows 8 pro 64bit, no dreaded metro and Linux , laptop by Linux

Plusnet FTTC
Standard User rogerfp
(member) Thu 16-Apr-15 18:49:16
Print Post

It's definitely a problem on your PC. My guess it's not a driver issue but a power management issue with Windows or the motherboard. Try turning all power management options in Windows to "always on" or "disabled". Do the same for any motherboard option in the Bios.
Standard User zyborg47
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Fri 17-Apr-15 09:28:55
Print Post

[re: rogerfp] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by rogerfp:
It's definitely a problem on your PC. My guess it's not a driver issue but a power management issue with Windows or the motherboard. Try turning all power management options in Windows to "always on" or "disabled". Do the same for any motherboard option in the Bios.

Oh yes it is certainly this PC, I switched off all power management apart from bios.
I changed the driver again and I will see if that make s a difference, if not I will look in UEFI.

I thought it may be a main board problem, it is over 4 years old after all, but as I said it works on Windows 7 and linux fine.

Adrian

Plusnet FTTC
  Print Thread

Jump to