Technical Discussion
  >> Home Networking, Internet Connection Sharing, etc.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User athegn
(committed) Sun 19-Apr-15 09:17:53
Print Post

ASUS EA-N66 2.4Ghz and 5Ghz connections

[link to this post]

I have followed this advice:-

http://bt.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/44798...

and got my HH4 to work on both 2.4Ghz and 5GHZ; our phones now connect at 5Ghz when in range of the HH4

At present only our phones can use 5Ghz; the laptops and tablets are restricted to 2.4Ghz.

However, because of the house structure, have to use a WAP to get a decent signal in parts of the house.

I have an ASUS EA-N66 which seems to have both 2.4Ghz and 5Ghz capabilities. But I cannot get the 5Ghz to show up on any phones. I have looked at the ASUS properties and changed its 5Ghz SSID to show 5Ghz in its new name but our phones don't detect the 5Ghz of the ASUS. I guess I must change some other setting? ( I note that on the HH4 I had to Change 'Sync with 2.4 Ghz' to No; I cannot see similar on the ASUS settings)

What settings do I need to have so that tablets/laptops can take 2.4Ghz from the ASUS and our phones take 5Ghz?

Any advice please?

Edited by athegn (Sun 19-Apr-15 09:43:45)

Standard User BatBoy
(sensei) Sun 19-Apr-15 10:04:33
Print Post

Re: ASUS EA-N66 2.4Ghz and 5Ghz connections

[re: athegn] [link to this post]

What channels are the HH4 , WAP and Asus transmitting 5GHz on?

____________________________________________________________________________Information_without_perspective_is_a_higher_form_of_ignorance________
Standard User PhilipD
(experienced) Sun 19-Apr-15 13:51:06
Print Post

Hi

Drop down to channel 36 for 5GHz on the router and avoid using Auto as it may jump elsewhere again.

5GHz has various frequencies that are only allowed indoors which a router will often support, but mobile devices, being mobile, are often restricted to only using frequencies allowed outside in order to avoid them using an indoor only frequency when they are taken out into the open.

Channel 36 is an indoor and outdoor frequency, so should work fine.

Regards

Phil

Edited by PhilipD (Sun 19-Apr-15 13:52:05)

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User athegn
(committed) Sun 19-Apr-15 14:32:07
Print Post

[re: PhilipD] [link to this post]

Having changed the 5Ghz channel to 36 on the ASUS I can now connect our phones but have lost the 2.4Ghz connections so tablets and laptops can no longer connect to the ASUS.

Does this mean that the ASUS can only supply one frequency at one time unlike the HH4 which seems to provide both at the same time?
Standard User redbutcher
(learned) Sun 19-Apr-15 16:52:41
Print Post

Yes it can't do both at the same time. That's why I got rid of mine and went for a TP-Link RE200 which does do both at the same time.
Standard User athegn
(committed) Sun 19-Apr-15 17:18:38
Print Post

[re: redbutcher] [link to this post]

redbutcher thank you for your reply and the suggestion of a replacement.

I found this device on Amazon and note it is a PowerLine device. I have PowerLine but use it little as the only convenient power ring main power socket I can use is also used by other devices, via a power strip; Powerline may have problems running off a power strip. I unplug the extension and put the PowerLine unit straight into the socket, giving me good remote performance, but the other devices are now off. I could buy another PowerLine device with a mains pass through socket but this adds to the overall costs.

Is there another unit that takes an ethernet input as a direct replacement for my ASUS
Standard User athegn
(committed) Tue 21-Apr-15 08:43:59
Print Post

Not sure if this is what I need:-

http://www.amazon.co.uk/TRENDnet-TEW-750DAP-Wireless...

Reading the spec:-

http://www.trendnet.com/products/proddetail.asp?prod...

suggests, to me, that it will supply concurrent 2.4Ghz and 5Ghz but can I plug my ethernet cable into to it?

BTW looking at using the PowerLine device may be problematical as nearest power socket is far from where WAP needs to be; long extension cable powering current WAP.

Any advice please?
  Print Thread

Jump to