Technical Discussion
  >> Home Networking, Internet Connection Sharing, etc.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User GeoffB
(fountain of knowledge) Tue 21-Apr-15 20:06:27
Print Post

Static IP address

[link to this post]

My router assigns addresses from 192.168.1.2 to 254. I want to give my wireless printer a static address and I know that this has to be outside that range - do I simply go for 255 or is there some other rule of thumb?

Dell Inspiron 15, Win 8.1, IE11
8GB RAM
BT Infinity 2 via HH5
Standard User Pipexer
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Tue 21-Apr-15 20:17:52
Print Post

Re: Static IP address

[re: GeoffB] [link to this post]

.255 will not work because it is the broadcast address for the 192.168.1.0/24 network.

Simply choose one high up in the range, it will *never* conflict, you'll be OK.

I would go for .200 or something easily memorable.

If you like you could go into your router and adjust the range down to .2-199 for example so it would never conflict, but I strongly doubt you'd ever plug in 199 devices anyway to make it conflict.

AAISP Home::1

Edited by Pipexer (Tue 21-Apr-15 20:21:24)

Standard User therioman
(knowledge is power) Tue 21-Apr-15 20:34:01
Print Post

[re: Pipexer] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by Pipexer:
.255 will not work because it is the broadcast address for the 192.168.1.0/24 network.

Simply choose one high up in the range, it will *never* conflict, you'll be OK.

Assuming the router uses sequential allocations. It's not exactly a sensible bit of advice though and just leaves the potential for a world of pain later.

The BETTER advice was to reduce the size of the DHCP pool your router gives out - say give out between .2 and .150 - that'd still be huge amounts and leave you a shedload for other stuff.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User Pipexer
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Tue 21-Apr-15 20:37:04
Print Post

[re: therioman] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by therioman:
Assuming the router uses sequential allocations. It's not exactly a sensible bit of advice though and just leaves the potential for a world of pain later.

If the router doesn't use sequential allocations, it is garbage and should be thrown in the bin.

And even if it did give them out randomly it would still be a 1 in 240 chance (shall we say) per every week or so it would conflict, very unlikely.

AAISP Home::1
Standard User therioman
(knowledge is power) Tue 21-Apr-15 20:49:27
Print Post

[re: Pipexer] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by Pipexer:
In reply to a post by therioman:

If the router doesn't use sequential allocations, it is garbage and should be thrown in the bin.

And even if it did give them out randomly it would still be a 1 in 240 chance (shall we say) per every week or so it would conflict, very unlikely.

Whereas you could have a 0% chance by just doing it properly once...
Standard User GeoffB
(fountain of knowledge) Tue 21-Apr-15 20:59:23
Print Post

[re: therioman] [link to this post]

It's a BT HH5.

8GB RAM
BT Infinity 2 via HH5
Standard User BatBoy
(sensei) Tue 21-Apr-15 21:12:23
Print Post

It's easy to change the DHCP server range to give you some spare addresses to allocate statically.

____________________________________________________________________________Information_without_perspective_is_a_higher_form_of_ignorance________
Standard User GeoffB
(fountain of knowledge) Tue 21-Apr-15 21:39:21
Print Post

[re: BatBoy] [link to this post]

I've delved into the hub's advanced settings and set the range up to 150. So I need to give the printer 155, for example? It's been allocated 71 when the hub re-set. I read an article that suggested a static address and extended lease time to solve the issue of printers not responding. I'm getting there, I think.

8GB RAM
BT Infinity 2 via HH5
Standard User BatBoy
(sensei) Tue 21-Apr-15 21:42:46
Print Post

Yes

____________________________________________________________________________Information_without_perspective_is_a_higher_form_of_ignorance________
Standard User therioman
(knowledge is power) Tue 21-Apr-15 21:54:50
Print Post

In reply to a post by GeoffB:
It's a BT HH5.

Don't quote me on this, as I haven't got one but from memory you disable DHCP, then you can edit/reduce the size of the range, and then re-enable it.
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to