Technical Discussion
  >> Home Networking, Internet Connection Sharing, etc.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User smiffy12
(experienced) Sat 23-May-15 09:31:17
Print Post

IP Address Conflicts And Network IP Software?

[link to this post]

Hello, I'm hoping for some help.

I have a problem on my network and its coming up with IP conflicts. There's a lot on my network here and I was looking for some software that would analyse my network and tell me everything that's connected so I can try and work out where the problem lies. As always, free software would be nice smile

I've found plenty software that claims to do this, but am always worried about potential spyware and add ons that I don't want. I thought it safest to ask people for recommendations as always the best way. I'm really grateful for any and all help

Fingers crossed and thank you for any and all help smile
Standard User brightd
(experienced) Sat 23-May-15 11:05:20
Print Post

Re: IP Address Conflicts And Network IP Software?

[re: smiffy12] [link to this post]

If you have an iPhone then I use Fing.

David

Infinity 2 over FTTP from BTBroadband
Standard User prlzx
(experienced) Sat 23-May-15 20:36:24
Print Post

Fing is a good answer, and any software that will do an arp scan (who-has) also.

That will help you identify what though not why,

The most common causes are
(1) manual IP addressing alongside DHCP or
(2) more than one DHCP server, with address pools that overlap

with (1) typically the manual IP addresses are not noted down anywhere or are lost track of

the answer to this is DHCP reservation, which is a table of each mac address with its fixed IP that you enter at the DHCP server
you should do this even for those items that are currently manually configured, as this will tell the DHCP server not to give them to anything else, but also lets you change those devices to automatic addressing later

with (2) typically it is a where someone has tried to repurpose a spare home router as a switch to provide more ports,
and forgot to turn DHCP off (or didn't know they needed to) - if so do that or replace with a cheap unmanaged switch unless you need something more complicated.

Fing or other may tell you if more than one device is listening on port 67/udp (DHCP).
Some computers will tell you which DHCP server gave out their address (ipconfig /all in Windows?)

prompt $P - Invalid drive specification - Abort, Retry, Fail? $G
prlzx on iDNET: ADSL2+ / 21CN at ~4Mbps / 700kbps with IP4/6

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User ste699
(newbie) Sun 24-May-15 02:45:28
Print Post

THIS is a free pc software that might help you
  Print Thread

Jump to