Technical Discussion
  >> Home Networking, Internet Connection Sharing, etc.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User tri_hard
(learned) Sat 30-May-15 14:43:54
Print Post

Connecting a router to BT Wifi - possible ?

[link to this post]

I have a UK apartment which I visit infrequently, and when I do, I make use of a BT wifi/fon connection from one of the other locals. Normally there is only me at the apartment and one connection is easy enough for me. I can fall back to a 4G bundled SIM but wifi is much better for me.

Later this year, my wife will be at the apartment for a few weeks and will want to be downloading iPlayer stuff while I am there and we will ideally need two connections.

Is there a way to get a wifi router to connect to the BT wifi node and for us to share off the hard connections at the back of the router ?

Thoughts appreciated !
Standard User brightd
(experienced) Sat 30-May-15 20:41:35
Print Post

Re: Connecting a router to BT Wifi - possible ?

[re: tri_hard] [link to this post]

As the solution that you suggest would still use a wireless connection if it is at all possible why do you not just both connect to BT WiFi independently. Do not forget that the speed available through BP WiFI is restricted and might not be enough for iPlayer stuff.

David

Infinity 2 over FTTP from BTBroadband
Standard User eckiedoo
(experienced) Sun 31-May-15 09:59:38
Print Post

In addition to David's suggestion of independent connections, I suggest you take a look for another BT Fon source in close proximity.

However, with both my suggestion and David's, there is always the possibility that any/all of the BT Fon Public circuits in your area are already being used by others, so it can't be guaranteed that either you or your wife would manage to be the solitary users of any BT Fon or similar facilities at any time.

Whilst one can anticipate this at busy locations such as airports, cafes etc, it is possible to happen in other locations such as your "apartment", as it seems to imply "blocks of flats".

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User BatBoy
(sensei) Sun 31-May-15 13:21:07
Print Post

The Netgear Trek will do this, but 2 independent BT Wifi connections would be better as each one has a limit.
Standard User eckiedoo
(experienced) Sun 31-May-15 13:32:04
Print Post

[re: BatBoy] [link to this post]

"DISPATCH" from the Connectify company might be of use, as it allows one PC to "simultaneously" use multiple Broadband connections-

http://connectify-dispatch.software.informer.com/7.2/

There are other possibles apparently.

I have experimentally used that company's CONNECTIFY successfully, to set up a temporary hot-spot - but not Dispatch (which in itself not a hot-spot program).
Standard User tri_hard
(learned) Thu 04-Jun-15 17:12:38
Print Post

[re: brightd] [link to this post]

Thank you all - apologies for the delayed response.

Obviously I don't want to pay for two connections as that would be twice the cost.

The access issue is not much of one - the property sits in its own grounds and has 10 apartments in the building and its a fair distance to the boundary - golf course on one side and a road on the other which is fairly unlikely to have any drive by surfers.

The residents each have their own ADSL connections but most don't even use wifi, so access would almost exclusively be for us. There are two nodes in the block so one is always on even if the other heads off for a couple of months.
Standard User vimto_girl
(committed) Thu 04-Jun-15 23:41:19
Print Post

In reply to a post by tri_hard:
Is there a way to get a wifi router to connect to the BT wifi node and for us to share off the hard connections at the back of the router ?
You don't need to buy a new router or special software to achieve this, Windows or Mac let you share the wi-fi connection over ethernet between the computers, it takes 10 seconds to setup.

There is no advantage to using two separate Fon logins, since the total maximum bandwidth is the same and is shared regardless.

You can get as much as 20 Mbps download with Fon, more than enough for iPlayer several times over.

Edited by vimto_girl (Thu 04-Jun-15 23:42:41)

Print Thread

Jump to