Technical Discussion
  >> Home Networking, Internet Connection Sharing, etc.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User sora
(member) Thu 04-Jun-15 15:00:37
Print Post

Problem with tp-link powerline adapter.

[link to this post]

Hello, hopefully i have poster this in the right section and sorry for it being quite a long post.

I have been having problems with slow download speeds over wifi when downloading files on my PS4. I am with sky fibre and have a download speed of 36-38mbps which i can get on any device in my house wirelessly other than my ps4 which i need it most for (only getting 8-10mbps wifi but i can get full speed through ethernet but the router and ps4 are in different rooms) so i borrowed a set of TP link av500 mini powerline adapters from a friend so i could connect my ps4 through ethernet in a different room.

It all works fine and the ps4 is downloading 3gb files in a few minutes over ethernet where as before over wifi it would take around 10 hours but i am having two problems with it.

1. when the ps4/ps3/pc is plugged into the adapter in a different room via ethernet wifi signal on every other device drops to around 2-3 mbps while the plugged in device stays at full speed. is this normal? to get the wfi speed to go back up to normal i need to unplug the cable from what ever device it is attached to.

2. like i said while the ps4 is plugged into the adapter in a different room the speed is fine and things download in minutes but if i am playing a shooter game online on the ps4 when its plugged in there seems to be some kind of lag and my bullets dont hit its target ( there is no visible lag or stutter in the game but its just like no bullets are hitting the target) even though the download and upload are fine and so is my signal to the game. where as this doesnt happen on the slower wifi speed.

Does anyone have experience with using one of these adapters and could possibly help me?

Thank you.
Standard User sora
(member) Thu 04-Jun-15 23:37:17
Print Post

Re: Problem with tp-link powerline adapter.

[re: sora] [link to this post]

Also i have tryed re pairing the adapters and also used a different sky router and no luck
Standard User ukhardy07
(knowledge is power) Fri 05-Jun-15 00:07:41
Print Post

1. when the ps4/ps3/pc is plugged into the adapter in a different room via ethernet wifi signal on every other device drops to around 2-3 mbps while the plugged in device stays at full speed. is this normal? to get the wfi speed to go back up to normal i need to unplug the cable from what ever device it is attached to.

If the device connected via ethernet and is downloading, then it will take the bandwidth away from the devices over Wireless yes.

IE you have 40Mbps speed, if the ethernet device is downloading at 40Mbps, it is using all the available speed... So yes I would expect a slowdown.

2 - 3Mbps is quite substantial though - but it depends what is being downloaded and how it is being downloaded.

2. like i said while the ps4 is plugged into the adapter in a different room the speed is fine and things download in minutes but if i am playing a shooter game online on the ps4 when its plugged in there seems to be some kind of lag and my bullets dont hit its target ( there is no visible lag or stutter in the game but its just like no bullets are hitting the target) even though the download and upload are fine and so is my signal to the game. where as this doesnt happen on the slower wifi speed.

The homeplugs may have a higher latency. Speed and latency are two different things. Virgin media can often be 150Mbps but perform worse in an online game than somebody with a 3Mbps connection due to latency. Homeplugs are probably not the best device to use for gaming.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User sora
(member) Fri 05-Jun-15 09:49:33
Print Post

[re: ukhardy07] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by ukhardy07:

If the device connected via ethernet and is downloading, then it will take the bandwidth away from the devices over Wireless yes.

IE you have 40Mbps speed, if the ethernet device is downloading at 40Mbps, it is using all the available speed... So yes I would expect a slowdown.

2 - 3Mbps is quite substantial though - but it depends what is being downloaded and how it is being downloaded.

The homeplugs may have a higher latency. Speed and latency are two different things. Virgin media can often be 150Mbps but perform worse in an online game than somebody with a 3Mbps connection due to latency. Homeplugs are probably not the best device to use for gaming.

Thank you for the reply.

Even when there playstation isn't downloading anything but still connected with an ethernet cable the wireless on all devices drop really low.

I have had it for a few days now and the only way to get the wireless to go back to normal is to pull out the ethernet cable from the adapter and that works like 75% of the time but when it doesn't work the only think i can do is to remove all the plugs and reset the router. like now for example, it was fine until i put the plugs in and my wifi speed was fast but when i plug them all in and use ethernet about 10 mins later my wifi drops to 2mbps this time and the only way i could fix it this time was remove the plugs and reset the router.

I'm not sure why its going so slow even when the ps4 isn't downloading anything big.
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Fri 05-Jun-15 09:51:29
Print Post

Are you sure the ps4 is not uploading anything?

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User sora
(member) Fri 05-Jun-15 10:26:03
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by MrSaffron:
Are you sure the ps4 is not uploading anything?

Yeah it's not uploading anything.

Just used the powerline adapter utility on my computer and it says the rate is 11mbps on wifi and 160mbps wired.

Sometimes if i unplug it goes up to 150+ but most of the time it is only in double digits. is thats whats causing the slowdown and if so why has it at 11mbps in the utility?

Thanks
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Fri 05-Jun-15 10:40:32
Print Post

A little confused as to what is connecting via what but 11 Mbps sounds very like something is only using 802.11g or a lot of Wi-Fi interference present.

Games consoles over Wi-Fi is always a bad idea as you can get latency glitches and more likely to get drop outs.

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User sora
(member) Fri 05-Jun-15 11:31:16
Print Post

thanks for the help, i am also a little confused as i have never used these adapters before but when i get home later i will try and explain a little better.

thanks.
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Fri 05-Jun-15 11:55:05
Print Post

Standard HomePlug/Powerline devices that are just really a way of carrying an Ethernet signal over the mains should not IMPACT Wi-Fi speeds. If they are then something is wrong.

of course if you have HomePlug devices that also have built in Wi-Fi it may be that this is not working very well.

Standard User sora
(member) Fri 05-Jun-15 12:47:07
Print Post

In reply to a post by MrSaffron:
A little confused as to what is connecting via what but 11 Mbps sounds very like something is only using 802.11g or a lot of Wi-Fi interference present.

Games consoles over Wi-Fi is always a bad idea as you can get latency glitches and more likely to get drop outs.

OK, so when i dont have the adapters plugged in at all my speed on all wireless devices other than the ps4 which is upstairs are a constant speed and here i have provided a link of the speed.

http://www.speedtest.net/my-result/4410837528

Which is great but i need a wired connection on the ps4 for it to download fast so this is where i use the adapters so i can connect my ps4 through ethernet because it is not in the room with the router. so i connect one adapter to the router downstairs via ethernet and the other adapter is connected in a room upstairs with the ps4 connected to it via ethernet.

When the ps4 is connected via ethernet the speed on the ps4 download is great but on all my wireless devices it drops significantly even if i am not playing online on the ps4. here are some results.

http://www.speedtest.net/my-result/4410914031
http://www.speedtest.net/my-result/4410911385
http://www.speedtest.net/my-result/4410901101
http://www.speedtest.net/my-result/4410898222
http://www.speedtest.net/my-result/4410874876
http://www.speedtest.net/my-result/4410869705

on the odd occasion where the wireless speed is fine on the speed test it stays really low at around 1mbps but as soon as the speed test gets to about 80-90% done it shoots up.
http://www.speedtest.net/my-result/4410864463

I hope this helps a bit more.
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to