Technical Discussion
  >> Home Networking, Internet Connection Sharing, etc.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User Sptz
(newbie) Thu 04-Jun-15 16:29:00
Print Post

HG612 + Asus A68U

[link to this post]

Hi,

I bought an unlocked BT Openreach HG612 3B Modem and would like to pair it with an Asus AC68U.

My ISP is EE, though it's supposedly like 90% of the rest of UK's ISPs. I haven't received the modem yet so I have no clue on how to go through with it.

My main questions are, what would be the ideal setup for this? Are there any step-by-step guides around for a similar setup? And would the Modem deal with the PPPOE connection or would that be left blank and let the Router deal with that through the Modem?

Many thanks and apologies for all the questions, I'm quite the newbie.

Cheers
Standard User Sptz
(newbie) Sat 06-Jun-15 05:49:58
Print Post

Re: HG612 + Asus A68U

[re: Sptz] [link to this post]

Could someone knowledgeable give me a hand please?

I'm receiving the modem today and I've read extensively on how to set it up. I'm just a bit confused on either using pppoe or pppoe bridged.

What would the ideal setup be? Having the modem in bridged so the asus handles de pppoe? Or having the modem itself connect to the Internet regardless of the router?
Standard User BatBoy
(sensei) Sat 06-Jun-15 09:09:27
Print Post

In reply to a post by Sptz:
What would the ideal setup be? Having the modem in bridged so the asus handles de pppoe?
Yes. This is the default mode too.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User Sptz
(newbie) Sat 06-Jun-15 11:35:08
Print Post

[re: BatBoy] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by BatBoy:
In reply to a post by Sptz:
What would the ideal setup be? Having the modem in bridged so the asus handles de pppoe?
Yes. This is the default mode too.

Thanks for the response. So, in that mode, I don't need to insert any username/password at all on the modem? Just on the router?
Standard User mlmclaren
(experienced) Sat 06-Jun-15 12:48:50
Print Post

Good Afternoon,

The modem does not require anything other than to be connected to an active VDSL line, it then connects to your router which then handle authentication and communications with the ISP...

So usernames and passwords that are provided by your ISP (EE) will need to be entered into the PPPOE sections on your router only and then modem just needs to be connected to your incoming line, power supply and WAN port on router.

I hope this clears up your concerns smile

Plusnet Unlimited 21CN 3700/768 @ 4.2Km > TP-Link TD-W8968v3
Plusnet Fibre Extra 65000/20000 @ 450m > HG612 > Asus RT-AC87U
  Print Thread

Jump to