Technical Discussion
  >> Home Networking, Internet Connection Sharing, etc.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User rockdoctor
(learned) Mon 22-Jun-15 15:48:41
Print Post

Netcam requirements?

[link to this post]

Hi, more questions...
If I want to set up a camera in my UK house that I can access from anywhere in the world, I see there are apps that work on my iPhone to connect into standard webcams or netcams connected to my Mac and home network.
Do I need a static IP for this? Plusnet offer a static IP for a one-time £5 setup fee, so it is no problem to get one.
Are there any negative consequences of shifting to static IP? Will I have to set up my existing kit differently?

Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Mon 22-Jun-15 16:14:43
Print Post

Re: Netcam requirements?

[re: rockdoctor] [link to this post]

Depends on the ip network camera, many push the video to a web based host on the Internet, or use a DynDNS type service and UPnP to avoid complex set-up and the need for static IP.

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User rockdoctor
(learned) Mon 22-Jun-15 17:08:43
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

Hi, yes I had seen that many webcam companies had workarounds to avoid the need for static ips, but I wondered, since it is cheap and easy for me to get one, what are the pros & cons of static ip?

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Mon 22-Jun-15 17:27:02
Print Post

[re: rockdoctor] [link to this post]

Pros - makes it easy to connect to a web service - which is what IPcams basically are,

Cons - but also means that device is public facing on the appropriate TCP port usually 80. So security and strong passwords are best.

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
  Print Thread

Jump to