Technical Discussion
  >> Home Networking, Internet Connection Sharing, etc.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User trolleybus
(experienced) Mon 13-Jul-15 20:54:32
Print Post

Wireless Access Point

[link to this post]

To give better wireless coverage I've pressed into service an unloved cable router, connected via CAT5e from the main router. It does the business and in actual fact wired devices are also connected to this "remote" router. The primary LAN is 192.168.79.xxx with those devices connected to the "remote" router being allocated IP address in the range 192.168.82.xxx.

The primary router sees the remote router as 192.168.79.17 so it is possible to login to the remote router using that IP address and view the DHCP table.

Let as say a CCTV device is connected to the remote router and is allocated the IP address of 192.168.82.12. Now from a computer on the primary LAN with an IP address of 192.168.79.27 I am seeking a method of logging onto the CCTV device. Obviously no problem if the computer was connected to the '82' LAN but I can't work out the syntax to use from the '79' LAN.

Am I trying to do something that is not possible or is there a solution that I can adopt? Yes I could make the two LANs both use192.168.79.xxx but I prefer not to do that unless absolutely essential to do so.

With many thanks for any responses received.
Standard User B31
(regular) Mon 13-Jul-15 22:37:18
Print Post

Re: Wireless Access Point

[re: trolleybus] [link to this post]

You could adjust the two routers to use the same subnet, just start one half way through the IP range, and set the other to use the lower half of the IP range.

Or you could setup a NAT using a specific IP address on the main router to point to the IP of the camera.

You could also turn off DHCP on the second router, so the primary router issues all the addresses (aka bridge mode)

BT ADSL customer getting 1.9 Mbps on a new road / new build development
CAB not FTTC enabled, not part of the 66% commercial plan. Not rural - no BDUK funding
(Virgin Media nearby)
Standard User Trolltamer
(regular) Mon 13-Jul-15 23:18:31
Print Post

Hi,

If you change the subnet mask to 255.255.0.0 on both routers (and PC's/clients if you are not using DHCP), that should allow you access, or as previously suggested split the DHCP between the 2 routers and use the same subnet. Either way should work but depends if you want different subnets?

Hope that helps?

Dave

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User trolleybus
(experienced) Tue 14-Jul-15 09:12:31
Print Post

[re: B31] [link to this post]

Very helpful suggestions made by you Guys; Thank you SO much.
Standard User nemeth782
(member) Tue 14-Jul-15 11:53:13
Print Post

When doing this (I've even done it with spare BT Homehub 5s) I don't use the routing capabilities of the slave router, I don't want cascaded NAT etc.

Just disable DHCP on the spare router, assign it an IP in the existing subnet in case I want to access it, and connect everything to it's LAN ports ignoring the WAN side.
Standard User MHC
(sensei) Tue 14-Jul-15 12:52:01
Print Post

As others have said, make it simple and have just a single DHCP server on the main router.

I have several additional WAPs on my network - all are routers with DHCP turned off. I can then connect wired or wireless to them and if I move from one wireless connection to another my IP remains.

I have my network set to allocate xxx.xxx.xxx.64 to xxx.xxx.xxx.127 dynamically and on request by PCs, tablets, phones &c. The individual WAPs/slave routers are .160 .170 .180. .190 - easy to remember. Other devices such as printers are given fixed IPs in the .200 to .240 range.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

M H C

taurus excreta cerebrum vincit
  Print Thread

Jump to