Technical Discussion
  >> Home Networking, Internet Connection Sharing, etc.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User Somuchtolearn
(regular) Wed 02-Sep-15 14:57:08
Print Post

HOME NETWORK QUERY

[link to this post]

Sorry for asking what will probably prove to be a silly question, but I can't seem to solve this for myself.

Several XP computers are networked (with wires) via router, and this generally works fine.

However, I've added another HD to one of the old machines for storage, with the idea of backing up the important stuff from other machines.

The extra HD is formatted FAT32 and has four partitions, none active. They accept data OK from the machine they are installed on.

My problem is that these four partitions do not appear under "my network places" on other machines. The 'C' drive to which these drives are secondary appears OK.

However, if I click on "view workgroup computers" on the main machine, and then on the identity of the old machine, it's drives C E F G and H all appear (slowly).

My first though was to check whether the four partitions on the new drive are enabled for sharing, which they are.

I've also tried making a floppy network setup disk, and showing that to the main machine, but it hasn't changed anything.

I'm obviously missing something here, and I do hope that someone will be kind enough to tell me what it is. I'll then get a red face, and go away and hide !

Many thanks.
Standard User XRaySpeX
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Wed 02-Sep-15 22:05:33
Print Post

Re: HOME NETWORK QUERY

[re: Somuchtolearn] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by Somuchtolearn:
The extra HD is formatted FAT32 and has four partitions, none active. They accept data OK from the machine they are installed on.
What do you mean by 'none active'? If they take data they must be active.

Are all PCs on the same Workgroup?

Are you looking under Microsoft Windows Network?

1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU => 2011: Orange 20 Meg WBC
Standard User BatBoy
(sensei) Wed 02-Sep-15 22:26:13
Print Post

[re: XRaySpeX] [link to this post]

You can only have one active partition on a disk, or none.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User gah789
(regular) Thu 03-Sep-15 00:51:20
Print Post

This seems to be a case of "I wouldn't start from here if I wanted to do that". Putting your disk in a basic network attached storage device would be much more efficient because they are designed to optimise network storage and will handle data transfers much better than an old XP machine. They come with software that will greatly ease the task of setting up what you want to do.

However, if you are going to stick with this arrangement, then your best option will be to map the partitions on your backup machine to virtual drives on the machines that you want to access them from. I haven't used Windows XP for some time, but I recall that network discovery was always slow and often unreliable on XP. It is always better to use proper network addresses - i.e. \\name\disk - but mapping the address to a local disk drive need only be setup once as you can ensure that the mapping is re-established each time a computer restarts.

You can use Apple's Bonjour to identify network devices (it comes with iTunes for Windows) and there are other pieces of software for Windows XP that were designed to facilitate the identification of network devices and connecting to them.
Standard User ian72
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Thu 03-Sep-15 08:24:18
Print Post

Have you tried accessing the drives directly via the UNC path?

Try entering \\computername\sharename in an explorer window and see if you can access the drive. For example, if the XP machine is called server and the drive is shared as edrive then enter \\server\edrive.
Standard User micksharpe
(legend) Thu 03-Sep-15 12:00:41
Print Post

Reboots all round? That was often the only solution with Win2k.

Man does not control his own fate. The women in his life do that for him. -- Groucho Marx
(regular) Thu 03-Sep-15 13:42:50
Print Post

Many thanks to the several who took the time to offer advice.

I willingly admit to being a 'learner' here, so I'll work my way through your various suggestions shortly.

Re. Xrayspex comment, I'm sorry if I used the wrong word, but I took 'active' to mean the bootable partition, and I didn't think that I needed one on a slave drive.

Re. gah789, thank you. I take your point about NAS and I have briefly loooked into it before, but detected issues about old OS's and compatibility with my mixed hardware, mostly old like me. However, where machines have been networked sucessfully, simply moving files across has been adequate for my very basic requirements. I've seen 'mapping' in a menu, but haven't yet found out what it means and how to do it - but will now do so and try to proceed along the lines you suggest. I have been looking for a diagnostic to verify computer names and workgroups etc.

Re. Ian72, I'm afraid that the term 'UNC path' is new to me, but I've just had a look at kb/311079 and will go further with this to see what happens. Thanks.

Re. micksharpe, thanks. There's been quite a lot of rebooting going on, but I'll certainly give it a further try.

I've previously been following this: mikenation.net/files/Win_XP_Home_Network_Setup.pdf

Mine pretty well matched his screenshots, except p10, where I don't have the "authentication" tab. The article says I should install SP2, but I have SP3 which I understand to be cumulative. The only other thing I spotted was that my computer name had a hyphen in it, which evidently it shouldn't, so I changed it. That change now appears only in some places, so I've maybe added another problem.

I'll try to implement everyone's helpful suggestions, and let you know if I crack it.

Regards.
Standard User ian72
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Thu 03-Sep-15 13:46:00
Print Post

I explained in my post how to use a UNC path. It is relatively simple and you only need to know the name of the PC that is sharing the drives and the name of the share itself. Open any normal file explorer window and enter it as I said in the previous post and you should be able to open the share directly. It could just be that the windows protocols that drive workgroup browsing are not working well but that doesn't necessarily mean the shares aren't working.
(regular) Thu 03-Sep-15 15:12:26
Print Post

[re: ian72] [link to this post]

Thank you ian72. Sorry to be slow, but I had to find out what a sharename was, how to find it, and then, mine specifically.

What I entered was: \\silver2\E on Silver2

But it didn't come up with the E drive, - just Silver2, which when clicked on displayed all five drives.

Does that tell us something helpful?

Thanks
Standard User ian72
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Thu 03-Sep-15 16:20:49
Print Post

So when it listed the drives what did it call them?

And it tells us the sharing is working correctly. It is more likely the Microsoft proprietary protocol that builds the workgroup list that is a bit dodgy. You can directly access the shares using that method and you could actually right click on the share and map a network drive to it (and click reconnect at logon). That way you can access the shares directly through a drive mapping rather than faffing around going through the workgroup browsing.
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to