Technical Discussion
  >> Home Networking, Internet Connection Sharing, etc.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User time2die
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Tue 08-Sep-15 11:32:53
Print Post

Remote Access from Macbook Pro to Windows 10 PC Help

[link to this post]

Hi all

I have a couple of Apple products like an iMac and Macbook pro and was wandering what programs are available for myself to remote access and help my Mothers issues or small problems Mothers get from time to time on here Windows 10 Pc.

I generally sort my mothers questions and problems when i visit her from time to time,but she lives some 80 miles from my present address so a program where i can take control of her windows PC would be useful.

I don't mind paying for the product as long as its easy to use with clear instructions and not something that is going to confuse my older Mother.

Im no technical wizard so basic programs with ease of use and understanding is a must,can anyone on here recommend or provide whats on offer with links to the programs so i can help my Mother out on occasions without having to visit the premises.

She is a older person but is quite good on a PC but for some unknown reason gets a little frightened when downloading updates.

At present she has had a upgrade to Windows 10 but her outlook emails no longer work which i read is a ongoing issue,she has Bt Broadband and they have confirmed there are problems.

Apart from this issue i would like to help her do other things from my house and i thought it was about time i had some sort of remote access that was easy to use to help her when i could.

Thanks and any advise of remote programs links will be extremely useful.wink
Standard User ian72
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Tue 08-Sep-15 11:44:54
Print Post

Re: Remote Access from Macbook Pro to Windows 10 PC Help

[re: time2die] [link to this post]

There are a number of products based around VNC that would probably fit. Been a while since I have used them but RealVNC or UltraVNC used to be pretty popular. Only problem is you will probably need to open the ports on the router to get it working.

For simplicity a lot of people use services like Logmein. Personally I don't like it but that is more from a corporate perspective, for home use it is probably one of the best services.

EDIT: Just remembered another one similar to Logmein is GoToAssist.

EDIT2: This may be of interest

Edited by ian72 (Tue 08-Sep-15 11:48:11)

Standard User time2die
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Tue 08-Sep-15 12:43:56
Print Post

[re: ian72] [link to this post]

Many Thanks Ian appreciate the time links and help provided by yourself,i shall now take a look smile

Just took a quick look at the sites,mainly American programs and a monthly subscription which I'm not that keen on to be honest as i will not be using it that much and was hoping for something from a UK site and possibly just a one of payment if there were no free decent remote programs available .

Yes there is a 14 day trial and a month trial on the leading two in that ratings page you sent me,but they are way to expensive and unless i was running a business where its essential it would be a total waste of money on my part.

I was hoping there was a easy possibly free solution to this issue,but many thanks Ian for your help,will have to do some Google searches to see if i can find a remote program thats not subscription based.wink

Just looked at the Gotoassist which costs a whopping $69 a month ,looking at whats on offer it would be far easier and much cheaper to continue driving to my Mothers looking at the costs of these programs.

i don't think these are aimed at the basic user but are more Company orientated .

Edited by time2die (Tue 08-Sep-15 12:59:18)

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User keith969
(learned) Tue 08-Sep-15 13:02:12
Print Post

Agree, VNC server works - use it on our company's VPN. Another I have used is Teamviewer which is also free and seemed to work pretty well.
Standard User radiomarko
(experienced) Tue 08-Sep-15 13:30:52
Print Post

Teamviewer is indeed very good and still has a free version, I use it across continents. Your relative has to install it, run it and read out a login and password over the phone or skype and away you go. Simple as can be.

-.-. --.-
BT Infinity 2, HG612, Billion 7800N; 79987/19999 Kbps. Online since 1987. Macs since 1979. Dreambox fun. Advanced Radio Amateur Licence and an anorak.
Standard User time2die
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Tue 08-Sep-15 13:43:17
Print Post

[re: radiomarko] [link to this post]

Funny thing is i just downloaded that program after taking a look on Google,cheers for the information though smile
Standard User ian72
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Tue 08-Sep-15 13:56:29
Print Post

The VNC programs are generally free but take slightly more effort to set up.
Standard User time2die
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Tue 08-Sep-15 14:15:06
Print Post

Thanks Ian for your time and informative post,just out of interest what exactly does VNC stand for ?
Standard User ian72
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Tue 08-Sep-15 14:19:31
Print Post

Virtual Network Computing - wikipedia
Standard User BatBoy
(sensei) Tue 08-Sep-15 14:19:37
Print Post

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Virtual_Network_Computing