Technical Discussion
  >> Home Networking, Internet Connection Sharing, etc.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User nathant1985
(newbie) Tue 15-Sep-15 14:26:28
Print Post

New Router

[link to this post]

I'm in a small office (12 people total) and we have a Plusnet Business 80mb fibre line. I installed a TP-Link TD-W9980 a while back but we've been having issues with it.

Every now and then peeople can't access the internet if they are connected via wifi, those that are wired in are fine.

I've read a few reviews on Amazon - one of them states that there has been a bug in some TP-Link routers where the CPU is overworked and so wireless users are thrown off.

Firstly, is the above a load of rubbish. If not does anyone recommend a decent wifi router that is compatible with a fibre connection.
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Tue 15-Sep-15 15:07:43
Print Post

Re: New Router

[re: nathant1985] [link to this post]

How many actual devices are you connecting over Wi-Fi?

12 people may mean 12 Wi-Fi devices or if a techie crew could be 40 Wi-Fi devices, in which case adding a business grade Wi-Fi system may be best.

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User zhango
(regular) Tue 15-Sep-15 16:22:40
Print Post

I recently bought a TD-W9980 and I'm really pleased with it. A few differences to your use - It is connected to ADSL not fibre and my laptop will only connect using 2.4GHz so I'm using that.

The Firmware Version is 0.6.0 1.12 v0021.0 Build 150507 Ref. 40130n

I did think that it got a bit hot so I've got spacers under the feet which has improved the airflow and it runs cooler to the touch now - not very scientific I know.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User MHC
(sensei) Tue 15-Sep-15 18:38:01
Print Post

You could well be overloading it. It is working as a Modem, Router, Switch and WAP. My preference is to try and separate the various functions.

As a minimum, leave the TP-link running as modem and router and then feed that into a small 16 port switch. Install a decent pair of WAPs which connect back to the switch. All traffic is then handled by the switch and only traffic to/from the outside world will go via the link to the router and modem.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

M H C

taurus excreta cerebrum vincit
Standard User micksharpe
(legend) Tue 15-Sep-15 19:19:54
Print Post

How big is the DHCP address pool?

Man does not control his own fate. The women in his life do that for him. -- Groucho Marx
  Print Thread

Jump to