Technical Discussion
  >> Home Networking, Internet Connection Sharing, etc.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User ronecc
(newbie) Wed 14-Oct-15 13:55:00
Print Post

Using BT Home Hub as a router with other supplier

[link to this post]

My daughter has to get her internet over the air from a company called Redraw. They do not have people on the ground and are not good on the phone. The internet keeps dropping and the speed is not good when it does work. I think her Router is possibly wearing out.
I have a spare BT Home Hub and was wondering whether is would work. The router would have to plug into the small box that is supplied by Redraw, which in turn is plugged into a mains socket. I was wondering if anybody has any idea if this would work.
The system at the moment consists of an aerial in the chimney, a wire which enters the house through the wall and plugs into this small box. The small box is wired to a plug that is inserted into the mains. Then in another room (of your choice) another plug is inserted into a mains socket. That in turn is connected to a router. Re-setting the router occasionally does boost the signal for a while, but soon drops again.
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Wed 14-Oct-15 15:11:17
Print Post

Re: Using BT Home Hub as a router with other supplier

[re: ronecc] [link to this post]

All depends on what this small Redraw box actually does.

The Home Hub is expecting a DSL signal usually and thus will NOT work as a router.

What is the actual router she is using currently? The make/model will allow people to make appropriate recommendations, and if its fairly low speed a new replacement need not be expensive.

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User Michael_Chare
(experienced) Wed 14-Oct-15 22:21:28
Print Post

In reply to a post by ronecc:
I have a spare BT Home Hub and was wondering whether is would work. The router would have to plug into the small box that is supplied by Redraw, which in turn is plugged into a mains socket. I was wondering if anybody has any idea if this would work.
The system at the moment consists of an aerial in the chimney, a wire which enters the house through the wall and plugs into this small box. The small box is wired to a plug that is inserted into the mains. Then in another room (of your choice) another plug is inserted into a mains socket. That in turn is connected to a router. Re-setting the router occasionally does boost the signal for a while, but soon drops again.

Two questions:

Does the small box supplied by Redraw have an RJ45 port?

How does the router connect to the mains plug to get the internet signal, is it done using a cable with RJ45 plugs at each end?

Michael Chare

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User ronecc
(newbie) Thu 15-Oct-15 13:55:09
Print Post

[re: Michael_Chare] [link to this post]

Hello Michael. Thanks for your reply. In answer to your questions, Yes al are RJ45. Sorry for the delay in replying, I had to find out what an RJ45 plug was!
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Thu 15-Oct-15 14:52:28
Print Post

A 75% chance that a general Ethernet router will suffice, but without knowing your exact setup and existing hardware models difficult to increase confidence.

A generic suggestion would be the Netgear WNDR-3700 at £49.99

Cheaper options exist particularly the TP-Link ranges, but the terminology used in the set-up can confuse some people in their web interface, Netgear are usually better at the automatic setup.

The HomeHub while it will have an Ethernet WAN port (for use with Infinity) is set-up to expect to have to carry out PPPoE authentication and don't believe that can be bypassed, hence suspect new hardware is needed.

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User ronecc
(newbie) Thu 15-Oct-15 15:47:47
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

Thanks MrSaffron. I have had a look at the BT website and they tell me that Fibre should be available within the next few weeks, in my daughters area. At the moment it is only 1mb speed. It might be worth waiting, rather than spending money and then discarding the router. If BT do not come up with the goods, then I will look into buying a new router.
Thanks for your help.
(experienced) Thu 15-Oct-15 20:11:19
Print Post

I imagine the mains plugs that you describe are something like these HomePlugs

If so it maybe that you could disconnect the cable that goes from the homeplug to the router and then reconnect it direct to a PC. You might have to restart the PC

If it works you could establish whether your problem is the existing router.

It could be that your problem lies with the wireless network. Something interfering with the signal such as trees, or electrical noise of some description or even contention from other users. I suppose the homeplugs are another possibility.

Michael Chare
Standard User pwlh
(newbie) Fri 16-Oct-15 21:16:58
Print Post

I have configured two spare BT HomeHub2 routers to extend my internal home network, also using powered plug devices to use the mains in the house as the wired connection between them, which is what appears to be happening in your setup. It sounds like the small box you describe is the actual ADSL connection to your home so you need to turn off that functionality in your BT device.

There is information here: http://www.filesaveas.com/jarviser/repeaterhubswired... which I used and gives instructions on how to configure the routers.

Good luck, Peter.
(experienced) Fri 16-Oct-15 23:37:58
Print Post

[re: pwlh] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by pwlh:
There is information here: http://www.filesaveas.com/jarviser/repeaterhubswired... which I used and gives instructions on how to configure the routers

That's fine for extending a network but the OP wants to replace his original router which is the type with a wan ethernet port and some times referred to as a cable router.

Michael Chare
Standard User ronecc
(newbie) Sat 17-Oct-15 12:23:05
Print Post

[re: pwlh] [link to this post]

Thanks Peter, I will give the link a read.
  Print Thread

Jump to