Technical Discussion
  >> Home Networking, Internet Connection Sharing, etc.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User camieabz
(sensei) Wed 14-Oct-15 20:17:08
Print Post

Configure laptop to auto-run on separate connections

[link to this post]

Friend has laptop configured to run on home network (no idea if wired or wireless).

He wants to use it at work too (of which I am IT admin). It's not a security issue, as the laptop is not used for business-critical things, rather than surfing for supplier prices and e-mails.

I assume I just add another Internet connection, but is there a way to get the laptop to ID the connection and auto-neg the IP settings? DHCP is not in use in either.
Standard User dandnsmith
(experienced) Thu 15-Oct-15 12:04:00
Print Post

Re: Configure laptop to auto-run on separate connections

[re: camieabz] [link to this post]

I suppose that the odds are that it has Windows.
Windows used to have a facility for a secondary set of IP stuff (which I never found too helpful), bu I don't know if that still exists.
Linux ? I have no idea.

Derek
Standard User ian72
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Thu 15-Oct-15 12:08:16
Print Post

[re: dandnsmith] [link to this post]

The secondary IP was only really useful as a backup to DHCP in case the server failed.

I think the question on this one is why DHCP is not being used as that would be the easiest way to do this. I can't think of a way to automatically switch IP addresses - you could do it with a manual switch over by creating a reg file with the appropriate entries or possibly using 3rd party tools.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User keith969
(regular) Thu 15-Oct-15 12:15:44
Print Post

If the laptop is running wifi, then there should be no issue. I use a Macbook pro at work and at home and there's no setting up to do. Having said that it connects via a VPN, not sure if that makes a difference, as we need a secure connection.

Why are you not using DHCP?
Standard User ggremlin
(experienced) Thu 15-Oct-15 12:50:06
Print Post

I would just configure the wired connection with the settings for work, and ask him to use wireless at home.
Standard User camieabz
(sensei) Thu 15-Oct-15 13:23:16
Print Post

[re: ian72] [link to this post]

To all:

It's windows, yes.

DHCP is not in use. Suffice it to say, while it might be a good idea, it's not in use. smile

No idea about wifi at home, but it is wired at the office (it probably could be wifi, but there would still be the separate network issues without DHCP).

I did consider a simple batch file, but automatic detection to trigger a batch file is less simple. So it would be a manual process.

I might look at this - http://www.eusing.com/ipswitch/free_ip_switcher.htm

It too might be a manual process, but will have a look and see.

Edited by camieabz (Thu 15-Oct-15 13:23:49)

Standard User keith969
(regular) Thu 15-Oct-15 13:35:16
Print Post

I fail to understand why you don't use wifi in the office and DHCP. It works, it's not that difficult, and it allows remote workers (like me) to just come in and get going. Why make life difficult?

Fixed IP addresses were the only way before but they have no place now in a modern office environment.
Standard User BatBoy
(sensei) Thu 15-Oct-15 13:53:07
Print Post

If there is DHCP at home but not in the office, then using the Alternate Configuration functionality is the way to do it.
http://www.addictivetips.com/windows-tips/how-to-con...
Standard User camieabz
(sensei) Thu 15-Oct-15 16:02:00
Print Post

[re: keith969] [link to this post]

DHCP is not in use at home (as far as I know). I can't change the home settings. I would love it to be DHCP.

Just to clarify, DHCP is in use in the office (apologies if my OP confused that point).

Until I can get my hands on the laptop, I can't know exactly what to expect, but I was planning ahead with the possibility of static IP at home, and wanted to thrash out an IP switching solution.
Standard User David_W
(fountain of knowledge) Thu 15-Oct-15 16:58:20
Print Post

If DHCP is in use at the office but not at home, configure automatic as the primary address (i.e. DHCP) and the home details as the secondary address. DHCP will be attempted at home, will fail, then the secondary details should be used.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to