Technical Discussion
  >> Home Networking, Internet Connection Sharing, etc.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User QuantumParticle
(newbie) Sat 17-Oct-15 18:05:24
Print Post

Would replacing BT Fibre Modem with a billion 8800AXL help

[link to this post]

Hi
I have Had FTTC to the cabinet for a couple of weeks now and have seen my speeds drop from 22.5mbs to 12.5mbs since then.
I can't get any info from the BT modem as its locked so Don't know what is happenning but if the line speeds keep dropping at this rate I might as well go back to ADSL, smile

I am still using my old Billion 7800n as a router and have always been impressed with it. When I first got it, it doubled my download speed overnight!
So I wondered if it might help to replace the BT modem with the new 8800AXL and an extra benefit of being able to read my line stats.
I'm not sure that the SNR modifying works with FTTC though but hope it does as that was very helpful on the 7800n.

Any advice would be appreciated

Mike
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Sat 17-Oct-15 18:18:31
Print Post

Re: Would replacing BT Fibre Modem with a billion 8800AXL h

[re: QuantumParticle] [link to this post]

The SNR modding won't work.

As for current connection speed the BT Wholesale speed test will reveal the IP profile.

This is really one of those you have to try it to find out if there is any advantage.

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User QuantumParticle
(newbie) Sat 17-Oct-15 18:33:22
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

Thanks for your ultra fast reply smile
Shame about the SNR.

I'm not sure what to do as the 8800AXL is £130
OK I will ponder that and if my wallet gets too full up I might have to empty it a bit smile

Mike

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Sat 17-Oct-15 19:01:25
Print Post

[re: QuantumParticle] [link to this post]

If you have a Huawei modem you can unlock and get access to the stats that way

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
  Print Thread

Jump to