Technical Discussion
  >> Home Networking, Internet Connection Sharing, etc.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User kelvinmc
(newbie) Thu 29-Oct-15 04:07:53
Print Post

How to setup my network

[link to this post]

I am moving into a static caravan with no landline but a good wireless signal from a site mast right behind me. I need to set up a small network for my macbook, wireless printer plus cromecast and tablets. It needs to be a small network so I can stream movies from my NAS box

I have a talktalk fibre router and another older ADSL router can use either of these and if so what settings. Or do I need to buy some sort of bridging router.

Suggestions please
Standard User ian72
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Thu 29-Oct-15 08:31:50
Print Post

Re: How to setup my network

[re: kelvinmc] [link to this post]

How is the "wireless" connection presented at the caravan? Does it end at a router that has an Ethernet output? If so then you could probably plug the talktalk fibre router into that and then use it as normal (what model is the talktalk router - also I'm not sure if they have any lockdown on them).

PS - I am assuming this is an actual wireless network (which supplier?) rather than a mobile network?
Standard User kelvinmc
(newbie) Thu 29-Oct-15 09:34:27
Print Post

[re: ian72] [link to this post]

The wireless signal is coming in from a site mast I have no access to this other than receiving the wireless signal

The TalkTalk router is the standard huawei issued by TalkTalk

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User kelvinmc
(newbie) Thu 29-Oct-15 09:35:56
Print Post

[re: ian72] [link to this post]

Oh and it is not mobile
Standard User ian72
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Thu 29-Oct-15 09:39:32
Print Post

Is this some sort of community wireless network? Normally wireless providers give you a router to pick it up - I am guessing this is some sort of wireless setup by the caravan park on the cheap?

You could use a wireless extender - something like this which should allow you to convert the wireless signal into a wired connection that you could then plug a router into to then extend it (or you could just plug a standard switch into it if you trust the wireless
network enough).

I can't 100% guarantee it would work (and have never actually used that device myself) but based on what you have provided that is my best guess as to a possible route.

EDIT - Another option if you prefer Netgear...

EDIT2 - A bridge might also be enough for what you want. This would just convert the wireless signal to wired and then you could plug a router into that to then provide some protection via the nat firewall and use the router to the provide a private wired/wireless network for your devices. The talktalk router may or may not work depending on how much it is locked down but other "cable"/"fibre" routers for around £50+ would definitely work (like the Billion 8800NL).

Edited by ian72 (Thu 29-Oct-15 09:45:42)

Standard User Michael_Chare
(experienced) Fri 30-Oct-15 01:07:09
Print Post

I would suggest asking the wireless provider what equipmet is needed at your home to establish a connection.

What ports does the TalkTalk router have? Does the WAN port connect to a phone socket, or is it an RJ45 ethernet port that is intended to be connecte to another box (modem).

Michael Chare
  Print Thread

Jump to