Technical Discussion
  >> Home Networking, Internet Connection Sharing, etc.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User crowie1969
(member) Mon 23-Nov-15 08:56:22
Print Post

Homeplug dilema on BT Infinity 2

[link to this post]

I moved over to BT Infinity 2 at the end of last week. After a few teething problems everything is nearly ok bar my Homeplug speeds on my network.

I have 8 in total throughout the house. Previously my Sky broadband sat at a solid 20MB and the homeplugs handled gaming on 2xPS4's, 2xPS's plus a couple of PC's using them, not all at the same time but my speeds were fast....16Mbps on Ookla.

Now I am synching at about 57,000kbps on HH5, I can get wireless speeds in the high 40 Mbps on Ookla from PC and iPads.....but my homeplugs (Solwise 1200) were giving me downloads at about 1Mbp, recently increased to about 8-9Mbps. The Upload is fine.

Does anyone have any ideas why I will get worse download speeds with homeplugs despite having a far higher connection now? For info, the HH5 is connected directly into mastersocket, its plugged into a short strip plug as is a homeplug which sits next to it in the strip plug. The homeplug is connected with a short ethernet cable to HH5.

Any advice appreciated!
Standard User iand
(fountain of knowledge) Mon 23-Nov-15 19:03:17
Print Post

Re: Homeplug dilema on BT Infinity 2

[re: crowie1969] [link to this post]

* have you tried a laptop or something in the new BT router connection. you may just have a bad router.
* also try a new cable between the router and its homeplug.
* try swapping the homeplug at the router with one of your other ones, it could be the homeplug at fault.
* try the moving the homeplug & the router directly into a mains socket and not the power extension strip.

I also use the homeplug in the same strip plug. I do use a "cheap" strip plug so no filters or lightning strike protection etc... This works for me using the 650 devolo versions.

IanD
Standard User gah789
(regular) Mon 23-Nov-15 20:17:41
Print Post

The standard advice is that Homplug / Powerline adapters should always be plugged directly into a mains socket - the more so the older the wiring in your house. Use adapters with a pass-through power plug if you need extra power outlets. Of course, this doesn't explain why the same setup worked reasonably well with your previous router but not with the new one. That may be due to a poor ethernet port on the router or just one that is more sensitive to extraneous interference.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User noinchki
(member) Thu 26-Nov-15 17:58:03
Print Post

Hi,

I too suffered low speeds with homeplugs on my home system with ADSL Max, and have seen a similar issue in a guest house I've stayed in using Infinity. I have a suspicion that the BT routers are not the best when many devices are connected, but I've not been able to prove this.

I solved my issue at home by taking out the home plugs and installed ethernet cables with a gigabit switch instead. If you still have your old Sky router, then it may be possible to use that with BT. The username is bthomehub@btinternet.com and the password can be blank or anything. That would then point the finger at your HH5...

Never attribute to malice what can be adequately explained by stupidity
  Print Thread

Jump to