Technical Discussion
  >> Home Networking, Internet Connection Sharing, etc.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User elenmirie
(newbie) Fri 27-Nov-15 15:59:39
Print Post

home wifi range extender - I need advice please

[link to this post]

Hello!

I've just moved to a new house and am struggling to get wifi access upstairs. I had a similar problem in the old place but took the easy way out and ran a physical cable to the upstairs. That's not practical now, so I'm trying to educate myself about how best to extend the range by other means.

My router is a Billion 8800NL (just purchased since the old Netgear I had packed up following the move.)

I'm considering getting the Billion BiPac 3100SN 300 Mbps Wireless-N Wall Plug Access Point Repeater. The reviews of it I have been able to find contain much wailing and gnashing of teeth that it is difficult to set up, incompatible with some Billion routers, etc etc.

So before I spend any money I thought I'd ask on here whether this is a decent solution and likely to work, or should I be doing something else? Thanks very much!
Standard User elenmirie
(newbie) Wed 02-Dec-15 06:16:04
Print Post

Re: home wifi range extender - I need advice please

[re: elenmirie] [link to this post]

Just as a follow up - I went ahead with this and the end result was good.

Rumours that the BiPAC 3100SN was not compatible with the BiPAC 8800NL were false - it works fine.

Rumours that the manual that comes with the 3100SN was rubbish were absolutely true - I got completely flummoxed. (My knowledge is above average but not expert - I wouldn't expect to be able to set something like this up without instructions.)

I ended up phoning Billion support (in the UK) and they were brilliant, it was set up within 1/2 hour of my first call to them. And it did solve the wifi range problem. So end result very positive!
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Wed 02-Dec-15 11:36:40
Print Post

Re: home wifi range extender - I need advice please

[re: elenmirie] [link to this post]

Thanks for posting back your experience, suspect it was a combination of hardware that no-one had, hence no previous replies.

I've found on other manufacturers extenders that instructions can be a bit hit and miss too. When there used to time to do reviews sometimes it felt like I was actually writing the manual for UK users.

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread

Jump to