Technical Discussion
  >> Home Networking, Internet Connection Sharing, etc.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User NuttyMucker
(member) Sat 28-Nov-15 10:59:54
Print Post

Solwise Network Plugs

[link to this post]

Folks,

After a bit of advice here.

I have 3 x solwise 1GB homeplugs, 1 at the router, 1 behind the tv and the other upstairs for my main pc (Win 7 and hard wired only)
I also have wireless running for the tablets and phones.

Every couple of days my main pc drops connection and when I run ' Troubleshoot problems' it informs me " Local Area Connection does not have a valid IP configuration Not fixed" At this point I still have wireless working along with all other devices wired or wireless.

I have soft reset the homeplug to no avail and will switch the homeplugs around between tv and pc to no avail. After switching the homeplug this morning it worked and I have also run a command ipconfig /release and also ipconfig /renew

I don't have a static ip set up on the pc but could this cure the problem or is it my homeplug that needs replaced. ( These homeplugs are no longer made and I have been told that some plugs cannot be added to my network as they are using different software) I am happy to go out and buy a new set but looking across the net other people have had this issue also and don't appear to have it resolved.

Any advice most welcome

Standard User MHC
(sensei) Sat 28-Nov-15 12:53:34
Print Post

Re: Solwise Network Plugs

[re: NuttyMucker] [link to this post]

Why not try to find a way to run some Cat5e?

I a lot of cases it can be squeezed in between the carpet at the edge of a room and just under the skirting board - use a rigid 4" paint scraper.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

M H C

taurus excreta cerebrum vincit
Standard User uno
(knowledge is power) Sat 28-Nov-15 12:57:18
Print Post

I have a similar issue but with a different brand.

The light on the device to indicate it can see the "network" over powerline goes off and that can be on the plug near the connection or any of the other slave plugs. The only way I can get this working again is to switch off/on.

The device connected sees the ethernet layer go down and then attempts to get a new IP when it comes up which resolves it until next time. If you're soft resetting (via some web interface etc), does a hard reset at the power make any difference?

Matt

uno Communications
t: 0800 520 0345
Official Maidenhead, Milton Keynes & Sheffield Speedtest.net Host

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User rogerfp
(member) Sat 28-Nov-15 13:25:31
Print Post

Agree with MHC on this use Cat 5e. If you need to get from one floor to another, simplest, neatest way way is to drill through the outer wall and run external quality Cat 5e/6 and terminate at each end with a wall plate. External Cat cable is pretty cheap on eBay as are the wall plates and back boxes. It's a little bit more work than plugging in a home plug, but in the long term gives you a stable connection and if you use cat 6 or higher, future proofs it for some time. After all you only want to do it once.
(member) Sat 28-Nov-15 15:49:01
Print Post

[re: rogerfp] [link to this post]

Thanks for the help,

Unfortunately running the cat5 is not an option as both at opposite ends of the house (terraced). I am just after having to reset the whole lot again and updating the firmware on each plug and all is good at the moment. Why it is only on this socket is making me believe the socket is the problem and not the plug. I am going to try a different socket and see how that goes. I am planning on getting the house rewired next year and I have thought about putting Cat 6 in every room to try and future proof the house (even though the best I can get on fibre is 17 down and 1 up)

Thanks again smile

Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Sat 28-Nov-15 16:34:24
Print Post

Noise on the mains may be causing the software in the plug to fall over

HomePlugs are great but hanging like this is not uncommon

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
(member) Sat 28-Nov-15 17:30:31
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

Thanks Mr S.

I had a bit of damp last year on the wall where the socket is so I am wondering if that is causing the problems. I have moved the homeplug to another socket in the room and will see if this continues.

Regards

Nutty

Standard User MHC
(sensei) Sat 28-Nov-15 20:31:27
Print Post

In reply to a post by NuttyMucker:
I am planning on getting the house rewired next year and I have thought about putting Cat 6 in every room to try and future proof the house (even though the best I can get on fibre is 17 down and 1 up)

Thanks again smile

DO NOT get the sparky to do the actual connections - most don't really know what they are doing with Data. You can get his cable monkey to run the cable from the rooms and back to the switch or patch panel location however take separate advice on spacing from power and crossing &c. And where you think you want one, put in two. Where the TV/AV are put in four.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

M H C

taurus excreta cerebrum vincit
(member) Sat 28-Nov-15 23:03:47
Print Post

[re: MHC] [link to this post]

Thanks MHC, smart advice.

Nearer the time I'm sure I will be on here again seeking best advice when the rewire is being planned.

So far putting the homeplug in another socket appears to have helped so far. The next few days will convince me that it was that.

Print Thread

Jump to