Technical Discussion
  >> Home Networking, Internet Connection Sharing, etc.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User davegod
(member) Fri 04-Dec-15 21:10:32
Print Post

How to throttle iPlayer?

[link to this post]

Whenever I have iPlayer downloading on my PC comes down nice and fast but it uses the entire bandwidth. I can barely browse basic webpages and other users start asking if the internet connection is down.

I heard about netlimiter but I'm a bit wary of that getting detected as a cheat or whatever in online games (people abuse it because lagging out on command can be advantageous).

I'm wondering if the router might have something to do with it. I never used to have this issue before but I only use iPlayer extensively enough to notice every now and then, and we changed router a while back when Sky bought out Be. Hoping to avoid having to buy something though, since it's just an occasional problem and the Sky router otherwise serves well enough.

(staff) Fri 04-Dec-15 22:42:42
Print Post

Re: How to throttle iPlayer?

[re: davegod] [link to this post]

Downloading video to play back later or streaming it?

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User davegod
(member) Sun 06-Dec-15 20:40:32
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

Downloading for later viewing via iPlayer Downloads program

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Sun 06-Dec-15 20:45:32
Print Post

[re: davegod] [link to this post]

Ok so no different from any other big download, in which case any router with some QoS support my help i.e. could throttle down the device using iPlayer to leave more headroom for every one else

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User davegod
(member) Mon 07-Dec-15 18:26:05
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

Thanks!

Jump to