Technical Discussion
  >> Home Networking, Internet Connection Sharing, etc.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User VeritasUK
(newbie) Thu 24-Dec-15 10:18:00
Print Post

Puzzling Internet Issue

[link to this post]

Hi guys,

I signed up here because i Googled "Best Internet problem solving forum" so firstly, well done all!

The Situation:

I have had Virgin media for 3 years in my home, i had the 120mb line and i was receiving exactly such downstairs for 2+ years when connected to the router with an Ethernet cable.

I then have a couple of Powerline Adapters (Homeplugs) providing me wired and wireless signals upstairs.

The downstairs speeds we're fine, at 126mbps (consistently over a series of tests) and upstairs i can appreciate that the signal would be lower, as A. its over adapters, and B. i had them (knowingly) set up wrong.. into extensions etc. (I had no other choice due to cable lengths and whatnot) and they were pulling in a consistent 37mbps. (which even though lower, massively more than i need for hours of consistent PC Gaming/Netflix/iPad you get the picture.

The Problem:

I recently 'pinged out' from a server (999 ping, and much to my dismay was kicked from the game)
After this, my internet has been tremendously poor.
Now, upstairs I'm getting 1.0 - 1.6mbps!! Of course.. Process of elimination kicks in and you start to search for the problem, So I:
Changed the Powerline Adapters for new ones (Not the issue)
Changed the connectivity and cables for new ones (Not the issue)
Changed the PC (Assuming network card, registry problem) (Not the issue)
Changed the sockets in which the home plugs we're connected (Not the issue)
Changed the position and moved the router upstairs to a second inlet (Not the issue)
Even upgraded my Internet to a brand new Router and 200mbps line! (Not the issue)

As it stands, i have 214mbps downstairs (wired) when clocked with Ookla's Speedtest.
And upstairs i have 1 - 2.4mbps < At very best.
So for PC Gaming and if the Mrs wants to watch Netflix upstairs, This is now not possible.

My Question to you guys is:

Dirty Power. Does it exist? Does this sound like this could be the issue? What route do i need to take up with a landlord and how on earth would i explain this to a layman?
Any suggestions for things Ive missed, please help guys!

Thank you in advance,

Dom.

Edited by VeritasUK (Thu 24-Dec-15 10:18:59)

Standard User BatBoy
(sensei) Thu 24-Dec-15 10:25:07
Print Post

Re: Puzzling Internet Issue

[re: VeritasUK] [link to this post]

It would be better to use an ethernet cable to connect the router to the upstairs devices.
Standard User VeritasUK
(newbie) Thu 24-Dec-15 10:27:54
Print Post

[re: BatBoy] [link to this post]

I have a 3 floor house, It is not feasible to run a cable due to the unfortunate complexities of the rooms.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User VeritasUK
(newbie) Thu 24-Dec-15 10:29:53
Print Post

Furthermore, there are wireless devices that are needing a signal, not just the soul PC.
Standard User BatBoy
(sensei) Thu 24-Dec-15 10:30:28
Print Post

Do you still have them "knowingly set up wrong"? If so, try setting them up right.
Standard User BatBoy
(sensei) Thu 24-Dec-15 10:31:27
Print Post

In reply to a post by VeritasUK:
Furthermore, there are wireless devices that are needing a signal, not just the soul PC.
That's not a problem. A cheap gigabyte switch will give you more ports.
Standard User VeritasUK
(newbie) Thu 24-Dec-15 10:33:28
Print Post

Again, running a ludicrous cable around the world isn't feasible unfortunately. Thanks
Standard User VeritasUK
(newbie) Thu 24-Dec-15 10:34:23
Print Post

Apologies, i forgot to mention... Since, i have an Ethernet connected directly to the home plug, trapzing across the room, if i don't, the signal is even worse.
Standard User ian72
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Thu 24-Dec-15 10:36:15
Print Post

Have you tried moving the PC next to the router and doing a test. If that works then try moving the home plug down as well and connect over a very short part of the mains. It is possible that there is something wrong in the consumer panel that is causing interference between 2 separate ring mains.

EDIT : Do your powerline adapters have software to allow you to look at the quality of the signal? If they do use that to see how good it is and try in different sockets (different ring mains) to see if there is any difference.

Edited by ian72 (Thu 24-Dec-15 10:37:58)

Standard User BatBoy
(sensei) Thu 24-Dec-15 10:39:32
Print Post

That's a pity. So there's no way to run a single cable from the ground floor to the first floor, and run another single cable from the first floor to the 2nd floor? Because that would give you the very best connection.
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to