Technical Discussion
  >> Home Networking, Internet Connection Sharing, etc.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User ajd1
(learned) Thu 24-Dec-15 10:25:20
Print Post

Accessing servers at home - loopback required?

[link to this post]

I have a server at home that has its own domain name (I have a fixed IP address). I am looking for a new router and in order to be able to use the domain name from inside my network do I need the new router to support loopback (I recall having issues with some modems in the past)? Looking at several modems there is no mention of loopback so not sure whether all modern routers have this by default...
Standard User Michael_Chare
(experienced) Mon 28-Dec-15 00:21:45
Print Post

Re: Accessing servers at home - loopback required?

[re: ajd1] [link to this post]

If you have a domain name that points to your router's external IP address, then if you set your router to forward all port 80 request to your server, you should be able to access the server using the domain name from both inside and outside your home network. Most (if not all) broadband routers can be set to do this.

Michael Chare
Standard User rhetherington
(committed) Mon 28-Dec-15 09:01:29
Print Post

It might also be referred to as "Hairpinning" in some routers.

I'm not sure if most modern routers support it as i haven't run a stock firmware in years.

I know it can be done on routers running OpenWrt but, since they also run dnsmasq, i just have my router return the internal IP address for the server instead of the IP set in the global DNS.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User caffn8me
(knowledge is power) Sat 09-Jan-16 18:27:27
Print Post

I am presuming that you run the servers with a private IP address and the router does port forwarding from the outside.

As a quick and dirty (and free) fix you could edit the hosts file on your local client machines to point the server hostname to its LAN IP address;

127.0.0.1       localhost
192.168.2.2     www.yourdomain.com

Windows machines use hosts files as do Macs, Linux and unix machines. It might be more tricky to achieve on mobile devices.

Sarah

--
If I can't drink my bowl of coffee three times daily, then in my torment, I will shrivel up like a piece of roast goat

Spiders on coffee - Badass spiders on drugs
  Print Thread

Jump to