Technical Discussion
  >> Home Networking, Internet Connection Sharing, etc.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User smiffy12
(experienced) Sun 27-Dec-15 09:38:08
Print Post

Wifi Question

[link to this post]

Hello, Hope everyone has enjoyed the festivities over the last couple of days, another one to gear up for shortly smile

I hope someone can help me with this. One of my friends works abroad and when there, only has access to one wifi log on. This is a bit of a headache as he'd like to be able to connect his phone, tablet and laptop but can't without logging off and then on again, messages about failed log on from a machine that tries to log on but cant as he already has one of his bits of kit logged on. No mobile signal so he's really reliant on this.He asked me if I had any thoughts of a way round it and said I thought there must be and I knew where to ask for help so here I am. He's away again start of Jan so I'd need to let him know what to order today or tomorrow latest really. Please can anyone offer some help?

I thought there must be a way to log on to his wireless (it's secured and on 2.4GHz) using some wireless device that can log onto this supplied Internet wireless signal. From that device perhaps via cable into the WAN port of a different WiFi router of his own where he could then create his own WiFi using the WAN input for Internet feed (either 2.4 or 5GHz for his own WiFI) to which he could connect his devices. Is that feasible and if so please could anybody recommend kit to do this? It may be that there's one bit of kit would do this on its' own and my thoughts were very heath robinson, I've no idea really so am hopeful that those here who know far more than me can offer some help and advice. Both I and he would be really grateful.

Thank you for looking smile
Standard User BatBoy
(sensei) Sun 27-Dec-15 11:04:59
Print Post

Re: Wifi Question

[re: smiffy12] [link to this post]

A Netgear Trek will do this
Standard User eckiedoo
(experienced) Sun 27-Dec-15 11:17:01
Print Post

[re: BatBoy] [link to this post]

Take a look at CONNECTIFY-

http://filehippo.com/download_connectify_hotspot/

I have used it briefly; but do not have in-depth knowledge of it.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User MCM
(fountain of knowledge) Sun 27-Dec-15 11:27:16
Print Post

In reply to a post by BatBoy:
A Netgear Trek will do this
+1 for the Trek which is pretty versatile and should be able to do what your friend needs.
Standard User rockdoctor
(learned) Sun 27-Dec-15 22:21:04
Print Post

[re: MCM] [link to this post]

Another vote for the Trek from me.
I got one from Amazon for £20 (still available) to solve a problem when abroad. It is an amazing and flexible little tool that should solve your pal's problem.

Standard User ian72
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Tue 29-Dec-15 08:34:35
Print Post

[re: smiffy12] [link to this post]

The options suggested should work - but...

When you say "1 logon" is this one login using the Windows wifi connection or is it asking for a userid/password when opening the browser? If it is the latter then it could be a captive portal type logon (ie you connect to the wireless as standard and then are challenged for an additional logon when you try to get connectivity). If it is a captive portal logon in the browser then I don't think any of these devices will work as it is being managed by a back end server/software that itself is controlling concurrent logons.
Standard User BatBoy
(sensei) Tue 29-Dec-15 08:41:29
Print Post

[re: ian72] [link to this post]

The Netgear Trek will handle that
Standard User ian72
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Tue 29-Dec-15 10:47:29
Print Post

OK, cool. Wasn't sure if they would handle captive portals but good news that they do.
Standard User BatBoy
(sensei) Tue 29-Dec-15 12:10:33
Print Post

[re: ian72] [link to this post]

That's one of it's best features as hotels try and limit the number of devices that can connect.
  Print Thread

Jump to