Technical Discussion
  >> Home Networking, Internet Connection Sharing, etc.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User Spetznaz
(experienced) Fri 08-Jan-16 23:26:28
Print Post

Home Hub 5b with Draytek 2830n

[link to this post]

Getting Infinity 1 installed on Monday and in my ignorance assumed that I would get an openreach modem rather than the new Home Hub modem & router (aio) which arrived today, I managed to procure a Draytek Vigor 2830n which is the same router we use at work, with an OR modem because it obviously doesn't support VDSL, I like this router and it gives me a lot of options, most useful being the ability to limit bandwidth between users, my question is as you might have guessed is..

is there a way to configure the HH5 as a kind of modem, from googling there doesn't appear to be a way to just turn it into a modem but has anyone else with a similar set of hardware managed to configure it in a way that allows the HH5 to pass all traffic through to the Draytek (or similar router)?.

The obvious back up plan if this is not possible is to buy an OR modem and sell the HH5, if this is the case a recommendation would be useful - I believe it's a Huawei cabinet.

Thanks.
Standard User BatBoy
(sensei) Sat 09-Jan-16 08:43:55
Print Post

Re: Home Hub 5b with Draytek 2830n

[re: Spetznaz] [link to this post]

• Plug the Draytek into the HH5 and let the HH5 allocate an IP address to the Draytek.
  • Tell the Draytek to get a dynamic IP address from DHCP on the HH5.
  • Tell the HH5 to always allocate the same IP address to the Draytek.
  • Put the Draytek into the DMZ on the HH5, this will send all the traffic to the Draytek.
  • You can also turn off the firewall on the HH5 if you don't use any other of its LAN ports.
Standard User Spetznaz
(experienced) Sat 09-Jan-16 14:33:57
Print Post

[re: BatBoy] [link to this post]

Thanks for the advice, I will let you know how I get on hopefully on Monday when the FTTC is active smile

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Sat 09-Jan-16 14:45:17
Print Post

While that will be sufficient for many people, this is only placing the draytek in the DMZ rather than a true modem mode.

So if the Draytek is being used for more clever stuff like VPN end points the double NAT can sometimes still be problematic.

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User BatBoy
(sensei) Sat 09-Jan-16 18:04:36
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

I didn't have a problem with VPN, or anything else
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Sat 09-Jan-16 21:07:23
Print Post

Note the use of wording that carried a degree of uncertainty to it

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User Spetznaz
(experienced) Tue 12-Jan-16 20:45:08
Print Post

Struggling to get my head around this one, before I go any further would this actually work with the bandwith management in the Draytek? - if not I will just buy an openreach modem, if it will I will persevere..
Standard User BatBoy
(sensei) Tue 12-Jan-16 21:09:12
Print Post

[re: Spetznaz] [link to this post]

I can't see why it wouldn't work but you'll be better off with a Huawei HG612 v3B smile
Standard User Spetznaz
(experienced) Tue 12-Jan-16 21:38:34
Print Post

You've convinced me - just bought one smile
  Print Thread

Jump to