Technical Discussion
  >> Home Networking, Internet Connection Sharing, etc.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User CraigMc90
(newbie) Fri 19-Feb-16 17:50:51
Print Post

Removed Bell Wire - Phone no longer working

[link to this post]

I removed my bell wire today in an attempt to improve my broadband connection (which it did) but now my phone is no longer working, I cannot make any calls or receive any. Does anyone know why this might be? My phone is a Panasonic kx-tg1311e which is a cordless twin phone. I was pretty sure that it didn't have a pulse dialling system so removing the wire should have been harmless but obviously that has not been the case. If I can't find an explanation for this then I will probably just punch the wire back in.
Standard User brightd
(experienced) Fri 19-Feb-16 17:59:44
Print Post

Re: Removed Bell Wire - Phone no longer working

[re: CraigMc90] [link to this post]

Personally I would at least put the wire back to make sure that is the cause of the problem. Then you can decide what to do about it. If putting the wire back does not solve the problem then you have probably disturbed another wire as well.

David

Infinity 2 over FTTP from BTBroadband
Standard User CraigMc90
(newbie) Fri 19-Feb-16 18:13:05
Print Post

[re: brightd] [link to this post]

Thanks for the reply. I'll take another look at the wires just to see if anything has been disturbed and I'll punch the wire back in tomorrow as I'll need to get a punch tool for it. Just to be sure, the bell wire is the wire connected to block 3? There's not a situation where another wire could have been placed in there?

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User BatBoy
(sensei) Fri 19-Feb-16 18:30:53
Print Post

Did you remove it from the socket the phone is plugged into or from the master socket? You only need 2 and 5 connected.
Standard User Deadbeat
(knowledge is power) Fri 19-Feb-16 18:30:53
Print Post

If you still have problems after Kroning it back, take a few pictures of the socket, up them to Photobucket or wherever and post the links here.

Got a function?
We've got it covered!
Standard User CraigMc90
(newbie) Fri 19-Feb-16 18:39:40
Print Post

[re: BatBoy] [link to this post]

We only have the 2 sockets, the master socket which is in the living room next to the phone and router along with one in the main bedroom which was disconnected about 20 years ago.
There were wires connected to 2,3,4 and 5. 2 and 5 are still connected along with 4 but I believe it does nothing anyway?
Standard User CraigMc90
(newbie) Fri 19-Feb-16 18:48:43
Print Post

[re: BatBoy] [link to this post]

I've managed to fix it although I have no idea how I did it. I removed the faceplate and took a look at the wires, nothing was out of place and now I can make and receive calls. It's funny how many times I have managed to fix things just by opening them up.
Standard User Deadbeat
(knowledge is power) Fri 19-Feb-16 18:51:30
Print Post

You probably have a poor connection there somewhere. It's probably worth remaking the connections throughout. As has been said, only 2 and 5 need to be connected in the majority of cases.

Got a function?
We've got it covered!
Standard User eckiedoo
(experienced) Fri 19-Feb-16 19:40:43
Print Post

Also both and before and after re-doing the joints, try doing the Quiet Line Test, if it is available on your line.

Apart from that, take a good look at how those IDC joints/connections are actually achieved.

It could be that the forks/slots have been forced apart, ever so slightly.

Or corrosion.

There is so little metallic contact area even in a good joint, that it can be readily broken as the socket/plug are manipulated/twisted to put the face-plates back on.
Standard User TheEulerID
(committed) Fri 19-Feb-16 20:43:31
Print Post

Almost certainly a bad connection or, just possibly, a broken wire. As the wires are attached to the faceplate then the simple action of moving it around can cause intermittent connection issues if the wire is not well seated or has been bent. Often reseating the wire in the IDC connector using a (decent) Krone tool will sort it out.
  Print Thread

Jump to