Technical Discussion
  >> Home Networking, Internet Connection Sharing, etc.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User Malcolm110
(newbie) Mon 29-Feb-16 19:13:05
Print Post

Unknown "Currently Connected Devices"

[link to this post]

Hello,

I have a Brightbox Wireless Router, No problems for several years. Last few months, slow connection and random drop outs. No change in connected devices. Of the 4 ethernet ports one is unused (1) One is connected to a Samsung TV (2), one to a Humax PVR (3) and one through two Homeplug 500"s to an Apple Mac. It is also used wirelessly by a Macbook, Ipad and Iphone.

Whilst trying to discover the problem of the drop off I noticed the Homeplugs showed a red light now and again, which appears to be noise on the line. The odd thing being it wasnt connected with the drop outs.

I opened up the staus page on the Brigtbox and saw at least 12 "Currently Connected Devices" of which I knew nothing about 4 were Android phones others said Shauns or Mike or Madisons Phone. The weired thing was that they were shown as being connected to Lan 4.

I disconnected both homeplugs and wired the macbook direct to Lan 4 with the Airport disconnected. I still had the same 12 or so Currently connected devices even after a refresh. I then reset the modem with no change so I switched it off and back on again. When i did so all the odd connected devices dissapeared. I then reconnected the Homeplugs and set my network as previously. No red lights on homeplug so far. Not sure about Drop off yet but am really concerned about how the devices managed to connect to Lan 4.
Having written the post 3 more "currently connected devices" have appeared. I have set the security buttons on both homeplugs which are Solwise PLV-500AV-PE. Still these wireless devices appear as logged into LAN 4 my main IMAC.

Any help much appreciated

Malcolm
Standard User ian72
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Tue 01-Mar-16 08:08:33
Print Post

Re: Unknown "Currently Connected Devices"

[re: Malcolm110] [link to this post]

Can you manually configure the homeplugs and set your own encryption password on them? This should ensure that other homeplugs aren't connecting to it.
Standard User Malcolm110
(newbie) Tue 01-Mar-16 16:30:18
Print Post

[re: ian72] [link to this post]

Thank you for your reply.
The short answer is no, I cannot set encryption. You can with a PC but no software is available for the Mac. I have however managed to assign a random network address that differs from my neighbours and this seems to work. I am told homeplugs all have the same address initially.
Although they are not supposed to pass through meters it would appear some of my neighbours may have homeplugs wireless or not to which these unknown devices are connected and therefore appear on our modem as "Currently connected devices". If that makes any sense.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User ian72
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Tue 01-Mar-16 16:42:21
Print Post

There was another example recently where the neighbour's homeplugs seemed to be connected to theirs. Do the home plugs not have a web interface you can log in to for changing the config? The netgears I used to have did but I haven't used homeplugs for a few years now.
Standard User 961a
(member) Tue 01-Mar-16 16:50:13
Print Post

In reply to a post by Malcolm110:
Although they are not supposed to pass through meters it would appear some of my neighbours may have homeplugs wireless or not to which these unknown devices are connected and therefore appear on our modem as "Currently connected devices". If that makes any sense.

If there is an unencrypted wireless connection available they do not necessarily need to pass through a meter

Can you tell from interrogating your broadband useage if someone is piggybacking on your connection when your own devices are not using data?

The complaint that you are experiencing slow results indicates that others may be using your connection as may be possible with any unencrypted system
Standard User Malcolm110
(newbie) Tue 01-Mar-16 18:09:34
Print Post

[re: ian72] [link to this post]

Hi Ian
There is"software" available that will change the config but its only available for PC and not MAC.
Standard User Malcolm110
(newbie) Tue 01-Mar-16 18:16:53
Print Post

[re: 961a] [link to this post]

Hi There,
I agree that piggybacking would probably use up my broadband but its proving difficult to assess. Now I believe that even on my unencrypted electrical homeplug network, neigbours would need to have a homeplug (wireless capable or not) to show up in the "Currently Connected Devices" with a connection type as LAN 4 which is an ethernet port on the modem connected to the homeplug. I have no unknown devices on my encryped wireless connection.
Hope this makes sense

Malcolm
Standard User iannewson
(newbie) Tue 01-Mar-16 19:17:51
Print Post

Is it possible to use a Live Linux CD and use something like https://github.com/ffainelli/faifa ?
Standard User Malcolm110
(newbie) Tue 01-Mar-16 19:28:11
Print Post

[re: iannewson] [link to this post]

Hi there
The short answer is I dont know as the Solwise PLV 500 PE uses the Atheros AR7400 chipset.

Malcolm
  Print Thread

Jump to