Technical Discussion
  >> Home Networking, Internet Connection Sharing, etc.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User pjbishop483
(newbie) Wed 30-Mar-16 21:49:17
Print Post

Permitting wake up on LAN through an EE BrightBox

[link to this post]

Has anyone been successful in getting wake up on LAN working through an EE BrightBox? I've read a few posts on this topic and thought that port forwarding was the answer but this doesn't seem to be a solution.

I've used the iPhone app to wake up my PC on the local network so I can confirm that all of that is working successfully. Next I set up port forwarding to redirect port 5909 to port 9 and 5907 to port 7 of my PC then connected to either of those ports using the app - nothing. I've also tried using port forwarding 7 and 9 to 7 and 9 but with the same result.

Another post I read stated that the "magic packet" has to be sent to the broadcast address of the network rather than to that of the device. This seems to be born out in the app stating "broadcast to the local network" (or words to that effect).

I've also tried web-based wake up on LAN sites but also without success.

Does anyone have any other solutions?

Thanks.
Standard User BatBoy
(sensei) Wed 30-Mar-16 21:53:10
Print Post

Re: Permitting wake up on LAN through an EE BrightBox

[re: pjbishop483] [link to this post]

This any good? http://windows7-issues.blogspot.co.uk/2011/03/wake-o...
(newbie) Thu 31-Mar-16 20:40:57
Print Post

[re: BatBoy] [link to this post]

Unfortunately not. I'd already followed similar instructions without success - although wolsniffer was very useful in confirming that the packet was being forwarded.

I suspect that it's related to the ARP entry that several of the comments to the article spoke of. If I shut the PC down and then immediately use the WOL app on my iPhone, the PC will restart. But if I leave it switched off for 10 minutes (or so), it no longer responds.

I can't find any instructions on how to create a static ARP entry on an EE BrightBox - telnet/SSH just closes the connection. Therefore the recommended solutions to this problem aren't an option.

Thanks for your suggestion.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User BatBoy
(sensei) Thu 31-Mar-16 20:50:32
Print Post

[re: pjbishop483] [link to this post]

Putting the PC in the DMZ may help
(newbie) Thu 31-Mar-16 21:23:34
Print Post

[re: BatBoy] [link to this post]

Gave this a go but without success.