Technical Discussion
  >> Home Networking, Internet Connection Sharing, etc.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User finster
(newbie) Mon 18-Apr-16 13:23:51
Print Post

Alternative to BT Parental Controls

[link to this post]

Hi all,

I've just switched from Sky ADSL to BT Infinity, but BT's parental controls (and I believe the way they handle DNS) were causing issues with Netflix on my Roku 2 so I've switched them off.

I'd like to keep some level of parental controls but the BT HH5 doesn't seem to let me change the DNS servers to use OpenDNS or something similar.

Just wondering if other people have managed to set something up that doesn't involve installing software on or configuring every internet device in the house?

So far all I can think of is: -

1) Buying another wireless router that directs traffic via OpenDNS and turning off wireless on the HH5.
or 2) Setting up a DHCP server on the existing network which will allocate IP addresses with OpenDNS as the DNS server (instead of using the HH5 for DHCP).

Any advice/ideas gratefully received.

Thanks.
Standard User BatBoy
(sensei) Mon 18-Apr-16 13:35:57
Print Post

Re: Alternative to BT Parental Controls

[re: finster] [link to this post]

Both of those will work or

3) replacing the HH5 with a 3rd party modem/router that does what you want
4) migrate back to FTTC on Sky if you were happy with Sky's parental controls
Standard User finster
(newbie) Mon 18-Apr-16 13:40:36
Print Post

[re: BatBoy] [link to this post]

Thanks,

Hadn't thought of (3) to be honest - I might look into that some more.

I don't really want to go with (4) as I'm happy so far with BT apart from the parental controls (which to be fair are easy to turn off), its just a way of finding another approach that works for me.

Anyway - thanks for the help.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User ggremlin
(experienced) Tue 19-Apr-16 00:50:45
Print Post

how about the kids devices just connect on bt openzone/fon wifi?
Standard User BatBoy
(sensei) Tue 19-Apr-16 08:00:46
Print Post

[re: ggremlin] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by ggremlin:
how about the kids devices just connect on bt openzone/fon wifi?
I just tested that - no parental controls crazy
Standard User Rolandrat
(committed) Tue 19-Apr-16 08:57:05
Print Post

If you go down the 3rd party route my current router of choice is the Synology rt1900ac, built in web content filtering by category (no dns changes needed), parental controls via schedule, bandwidth monitoring and limiting which also is done by Layer 7 application level - clients identified by MAC address not IP, so no need to fix IP of clients. The new version of firmware due out any day brings intrusion detection and prevention to the device turning it into a mini UTM device.
All this and a fantastic gui thats simple and easy to use.
Ive used many routers over the years from Asus, Netgear, Draytek, Billion, ive built PC based UTM's etc, but this Synology is really good little box.
Standard User finster
(newbie) Tue 19-Apr-16 13:38:25
Print Post

[re: Rolandrat] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by Rolandrat:
If you go down the 3rd party route my current router of choice is the Synology rt1900ac

Thanks - that looks like a great bit of kit - it might be a bit overkill for me but the idea of using it for NAS, DLNA, proper parental controls and downloads is tempting. I always fancied a Synology NAS too...

Is this fairly easy to connect up to the HH5? Did you set up the Synology to get an IP address from the HH5 and then run a separate network range from it? (e.g. 192.168.0.*)? Or do you run it from the 192.168.1.* network?

I've also been looking at the TP-Link TD-W9980 which also has a modem built-in (but doesn't have as many features).

Thanks again.
Standard User Rolandrat
(committed) Tue 19-Apr-16 14:13:33
Print Post

I have it connected to a billion 8800NL in full bridge mode, prevents having to drop the line potentially causing DLM kicking in when the synology needs a reboot, not that I really need to reboot it except when new firmware comes out, its rock solid for me.
You would need a separate modem unless the HH5 can be put in bridge modem only mode.
I dont have one im afraid so cant help there.
I also have a Synology NAS, a old one now - 1513+ and later added the 5 disk expansion model DX513 - never looked back, its a major investment but the things you can with them are great.

Edited by Rolandrat (Tue 19-Apr-16 14:14:35)

Standard User BatBoy
(sensei) Tue 19-Apr-16 17:43:23
Print Post

[re: Rolandrat] [link to this post]

The best you can do with the HH5 is turn the firewall off and put the router in the DMZ.
Standard User finster
(newbie) Wed 20-Apr-16 10:21:15
Print Post

[re: BatBoy] [link to this post]

Thanks all,

It looks like to use an advanced router like the Synology rt1900ac, my best bet is to replace the HH5 with something else first.

The cost is starting to stack up a bit for me, so I might look at getting a TP-Link TD-W9980 or Billion 8800NL to replace the HH5 which will always give me the option of adding a Synology at a later point in time if I think I need the additional features.

I might also explore setting up "dnsmasq" for DHCP on an old Raspberry Pi 1 I have somewhere which may help me to ensure that network devices use OpenDNS and their filtering (albeit that's fairly easy to get around)

Anyway - thanks for all the tips - I need to go away and do a bit more research...
Standard User kitcat
(committed) Wed 20-Apr-16 11:11:40
Print Post

finster

I assume you have personalised the settings for the paranetal controls.

You should be able to allow the site using 'Manage allowed & blocked sites' this may overcome your problem.
Standard User finster
(newbie) Wed 20-Apr-16 11:14:45
Print Post

[re: kitcat] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by kitcat:
You should be able to allow the site using 'Manage allowed & blocked sites' this may overcome your problem.

I think the issue is that when parental controls are enabled, all network devices are prevented from using any DNS servers other than BT's, which is what was causing my issues with Netflix on the Roku.

I don't think changing these settings will help me (although I'm happy to be proved wrong!)
Standard User kitcat
(committed) Wed 20-Apr-16 11:20:58
Print Post

You may be correct, as that would stop a computer savvy child from bypassing the control. It is worth trying though for both for the alternative DNS address the Roku is using and the Netflix site.
Standard User BOT
(member) Thu 06-Jul-17 12:33:39
Print Post

Hi Finster, When you say issues what are these issues ?

Choose a job you love, and you will never work again.
Standard User finster
(newbie) Thu 06-Jul-17 12:46:54
Print Post

[re: BOT] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by BOT:
Hi Finster, When you say issues what are these issues ?

Hi, I got the error message "Netflix has encountered an error. Retrying in xx seconds. Code: ui-800-3 (%MSL_INTERNAL_CODE%)

When trying to test the connection I got failures acccessing "nw-2-5".

Turning off (and then deleting the settings) parental controls within the "My BT" website fixed things on my Roku 2 (4205E) but I had to wait for a couple of hours after the changes.

Hope that helps.
Standard User BOT
(member) Fri 07-Jul-17 12:09:58
Print Post

When controls turned on did you block Media Streaming ?
try turning on again and add api.global.netflix.com to the white list

Choose a job you love, and you will never work again.
Standard User finster
(newbie) Fri 07-Jul-17 12:53:28
Print Post

[re: BOT] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by BOT:
When controls turned on did you block Media Streaming ?
try turning on again and add api.global.netflix.com to the white list

Thanks, but I've long since sidestepped this issue (by not enabling parental-controls and using a separate router with OpenDNS for basic parental filtering). I only posted what issues I originally had to try and help.
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to