Technical Discussion
  >> Home Networking, Internet Connection Sharing, etc.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User beercan
(regular) Wed 20-Apr-16 17:46:24
Print Post

Cheap router with extender, or expensive router?

[link to this post]

Hi all,

I would like to buy a new router to replace my Sky Hub SR102 (black), which, to be frank is dire (and even worse than the original Hub SR101 (white).

My ADSL maxes out at 5-6Mbps, with no alternatives so Im having to make the best of a bad situation. The wireless signal around my house is not great. So would I be better to buy a cheaper router (like the Tp-Link D20) and a wireless extender (and run a LAN cable to it), or go straight for the Tp-Link D9?
i.e. is the D9's wireless signal going to make a big difference?

I have seen positive reviews of the TP-Link Archer range. From what I can see, the D2 has an inferior chipset, the D5 is OK, and if youre going to pay for a D5, you may as well buy a D7. However I have also found the D9 on amazon at £89.99 - £20-£30 cheaper than local stores.

Any thoughts please, or alternatives suggestions?

Many thanks,

Edited by beercan (Wed 20-Apr-16 18:10:43)

Standard User BatBoy
(sensei) Wed 20-Apr-16 18:50:35
Print Post

Re: Cheap router with extender, or expensive router?

[re: beercan] [link to this post]

So is it just the wifi that's poor? If so, what are the wireless capabilities of your devices, so you can get the appropriate wireless router?
Standard User beercan
(regular) Wed 20-Apr-16 19:06:43
Print Post

[re: BatBoy] [link to this post]

Hi, Thanks for your reply.

We have an Xbox one, three Galaxy S5's, a Galaxy tab, Wii u and an iPhone 5s attached via wifi.

The following are also attached via LAN (which seems fine in terms of speed):
Desktop PC, Sky+HD, PS4, Denon amplifier, Blu Ray/Netflix player (all via a Netgear 10/100 switch) Xbox 360 (via powerline adaptor), Sky +HD and cheap & nasty Sky extender (via powerline adaptor).

Also I assume if I got the D9 as it's gigabit, I'd need to get a new gigabit hub and pc card to get the most from the internal network?

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User Michael_Chare
(experienced) Thu 21-Apr-16 12:02:54
Print Post

I would use your old hub as a wireless access point at a different location in your house connected to your new router by cable. Just disable the DHCP and make sure the IP address does not conflict with your existing router and its DHCP range.

Michael Chare
Standard User ukhardy07
(knowledge is power) Thu 21-Apr-16 15:39:38
Print Post

Always best to get a second router than spending money on an expensive router.

Wireless output on a netgear D7000 was far worse than a HomeHub 5 and SR102 in terms of how far the wifi transmitted. That was a £135 router!

I would replace the sky hub with an AC router and then have a second AC router, hard wired into the main one, acting as a second wireless AP to increase the range.
Standard User beercan
(regular) Thu 21-Apr-16 18:25:52
Print Post

[re: Michael_Chare] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by Michael_Chare:
I would use your old hub as a wireless access point at a different location in your house connected to your new router by cable. Just disable the DHCP and make sure the IP address does not conflict with your existing router and its DHCP range.

I tried this actually, using the SR102 as the modem/router and the SR102 as an extender, but my wifi ground to a halt and every wireless device failed to connect to the internet after about an hour of connectivity...? I turned off the DHCP on the extender and assigned a static ip, but what I didn't do was assign an ip that was outside the DHCP range of the main router. Would that have caused the loss of connectivity? Every LAN device continued to connect though.
Standard User Michael_Chare
(experienced) Thu 21-Apr-16 18:46:12
Print Post

In reply to a post by beercan:

I tried this actually, using the SR102 as the modem/router and the SR102 as an extender, but my wifi ground to a halt and every wireless device failed to connect to the internet after about an hour of connectivity...? I turned off the DHCP on the extender and assigned a static ip, but what I didn't do was assign an ip that was outside the DHCP range of the main router. Would that have caused the loss of connectivity? Every LAN device continued to connect though.

What I suggest is quite a common arrangement which I use myself, with different products. I use the same SSID and password on both devices, but different Wifi channels. Routers normally have fixed (static) IP addresses for the LAN port, quite often like 192.168.0.1, 192.168.0.254. Are you sure you configured the SR102 correctly and did not change the wan port inadvertently?

Michael Chare
Standard User BatBoy
(sensei) Thu 21-Apr-16 19:04:32
Print Post

In reply to a post by beercan:
I tried this actually, using the SR102 as the modem/router and the SR102 as an extender
You're saying you used 2 SR102's?
Standard User beercan
(regular) Thu 21-Apr-16 23:12:12
Print Post

[re: BatBoy] [link to this post]

Apologies. An SR102 as modem/router, and an SR101 as an extender.
Standard User beercan
(regular) Thu 21-Apr-16 23:14:02
Print Post

[re: Michael_Chare] [link to this post]

What I suggest is quite a common arrangement which I use myself, with different products. I use the same SSID and password on both devices, but different Wifi channels. Routers normally have fixed (static) IP addresses for the LAN port, quite often like 192.168.0.1, 192.168.0.254. Are you sure you configured the SR102 correctly and did not change the wan port inadvertently?

Thanks, I will try again and double check the settings.
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to