Technical Discussion
  >> Home Networking, Internet Connection Sharing, etc.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User sociii
(newbie) Fri 22-Apr-16 12:54:48
Print Post

Need separate socket for phone and fiber optic router

[link to this post]

Hi all,

I am looking to change my broadband provider to HyperOptic which offers speeds up to 1000mb/s. Now, these guys give you a router which only supports about 50-70 mb/s speeds on Wifi, otherwise to get full speed you need to use an Ethernet cable.

I was thinking to buy a more powerful router which supports higher speeds on Wifi and I think I have found some, especially those that support 5Ghz bands (my PC is 5Ghz ready). The reason I would prefer Wifi over Ethernet is because of the cabling that has to go into my house. I prefer to be as minimal as possible, otherwise it has to go through the whole house to get the router close to my PC where I need the max speeds.

So lets say I buy a powerful router and I manage to get good enough speeds on the 1000mb/s line (I guess I can get something like 500-600 mb/s).
Now, my real problem is that they do not provide you with a telephone socket where you can just plug in your phone, but instead the router they provide has an RJ11 socket to plug your phone device (I guess it uses VOIP). However, as I said I would like to not use their router so this makes the telephone service useless for me and is something that I would like to have.

Has any of you come across a similar problem and have manage to solve it?
Is there a filter/splitter or something that I can use to get a phone line out of the Hyperoptic socket so I can use my own router and the phone line as well?

I would really appreciate your help since HyperOptic offers 1Gb speeds and telephone at a really good price, about 1/3 less from what I am paying right now for BT (which does not even support fiber in my area and their broadband is not stable).

Thank you.
Standard User ian72
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Fri 22-Apr-16 13:07:25
Print Post

Re: Need separate socket for phone and fiber optic router

[re: sociii] [link to this post]

The phone on Hyperoptic will be "VOIP" so it has to run via a router that supports VOIP.

You may find your better option is to keep the router but disable wireless on it and buy a Wireless Access Point to plug into it.

But, even wireless devices that say they support 500/600Mbps will quite likely only do half that at best.
Standard User sociii
(newbie) Fri 22-Apr-16 13:15:51
Print Post

[re: ian72] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by ian72:
The phone on Hyperoptic will be "VOIP" so it has to run via a router that supports VOIP.

You may find your better option is to keep the router but disable wireless on it and buy a Wireless Access Point to plug into it.

But, even wireless devices that say they support 500/600Mbps will quite likely only do half that at best.

Hi ian72,

Many thanks for your reply.
So are you saying that I should keep the HyperOptic router, disable its Wifi - but keep the VOIP phone on it, and at the same time connect an access point to the router (with cord) that will give me access to the wifi. Is that right?
Can routers generally work as access points - i.e. can I plug the router I was thinking to buy into the HyperOptic router and make it work as access point, giving me good speeds? Or you need a specific hardware for that?

Thank you.

Edit: I have found https://support.hyperoptic.com/hc/en-gb/articles/203....
This actually says that you can buy your own router and connect it to their router to act as an access point. So I guess it will work as ian72 suggested (thank you ian72).
The only last thing I need to know is, doing that will it affect the speeds at all vs. just plugging my own router directly to the HyperOptic socket?

Thank you.

Edited by sociii (Fri 22-Apr-16 13:42:00)

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User Michael_Chare
(experienced) Fri 22-Apr-16 14:07:39
Print Post

I suggest that you wait until you have the service installed before buying a router with faster Wifi. You may well find that contention on the backhaul is the limiting factor rather than the WiFi mspeed.

I would not bother looking for a router with VOIP ports. Likely you could use a Cisco SPA112 which would give you two VOIP ports, or a Gigaset N300IP which is a VOIP DECT base station and should be used with Gigaset DECT phones such as the C430H.

Michael Chare
Standard User sociii
(newbie) Fri 22-Apr-16 14:26:52
Print Post

[re: Michael_Chare] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by Michael_Chare:
I suggest that you wait until you have the service installed before buying a router with faster Wifi. You may well find that contention on the backhaul is the limiting factor rather than the WiFi mspeed.

I would not bother looking for a router with VOIP ports. Likely you could use a Cisco SPA112 which would give you two VOIP ports, or a Gigaset N300IP which is a VOIP DECT base station and should be used with Gigaset DECT phones such as the C430H.

Hi Michael. Thank you for your reply.
I had a look into the Cisco ATA you mentioned.
So the ATA device just plugs into the router via Ethernet, and then you can configure it to your VOIP info (I guess it needs some configuration - HyperOptic has to provide me with this info?)?

Thank you.
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Fri 22-Apr-16 14:37:28
Print Post

Whether Hyperoptic will provide the VoIP configuration info is a big unknown.

Simplest to stick to their supplied router to sit on the line and provide the VoIP and basic Ethernet services, and then a wireless access point something that is probably in the ball park for an access point is the Netgear WAC120 at £80.59 you can repurpose routers and some have the ability to be switched to access point in the firmware, but given the questions asked probably easiest to stick with the kit designed for the task.

The maximum seen on wireless from a single device with the best kit is usually around the 400 Mbps mark, so if wanting to pull or send 1 Gbps over Hyperoptic from a single device you will want Ethernet.

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User sociii
(newbie) Fri 22-Apr-16 14:53:46
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by MrSaffron:
Whether Hyperoptic will provide the VoIP configuration info is a big unknown.

Simplest to stick to their supplied router to sit on the line and provide the VoIP and basic Ethernet services, and then a wireless access point something that is probably in the ball park for an access point is the Netgear WAC120 at £80.59 you can repurpose routers and some have the ability to be switched to access point in the firmware, but given the questions asked probably easiest to stick with the kit designed for the task.

The maximum seen on wireless from a single device with the best kit is usually around the 400 Mbps mark, so if wanting to pull or send 1 Gbps over Hyperoptic from a single device you will want Ethernet.

Many thanks for your info.
So you think that a router such as: http://www.netgear.co.uk/home/products/networking/wi... cannot give you better speeds than 400Mbs on the 5GHz band?
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Fri 22-Apr-16 15:13:40
Print Post

Given the absolute perfect scenario it may be possible to go higher, but from the speed tests we see people doing in the real world, even the best tablets only manage http://tbb.st/1451656817464429655 or for mobiles best seen in 2016 was http://tbb.st/1451937299399575855

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User sociii
(newbie) Fri 22-Apr-16 15:27:25
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by MrSaffron:
Given the absolute perfect scenario it may be possible to go higher, but from the speed tests we see people doing in the real world, even the best tablets only manage http://tbb.st/1451656817464429655 or for mobiles best seen in 2016 was http://tbb.st/1451937299399575855

Understood!

I got one last question thought.
What is the max range for having good signal on a 5Ghz band?
In my scenario the router will probably be at the one end of a corridor (which is about 10 meters long) behind a wooden door, then at the other end of the corridor if you turn left my computer sits another 10 meters from when you took the turn. Do you think this distance is ok for the 5Ghz band to have good enough signal and minimal signal loss?

Thank you.
Standard User eckiedoo
(experienced) Fri 22-Apr-16 16:23:35
Print Post

I can't directly answer your 5 GHz question; but wandering around my house and outside, the 5 GHz Band is usually 10 db worse/lower than 2.4 GHz.

Outside-

5 GHz -60db
2.4 GHz -50db

with the 2.4 GHZ still usable at greater distances.
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to