Technical Discussion
  >> Home Networking, Internet Connection Sharing, etc.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User swervinc
(member) Wed 27-Apr-16 20:34:04
Print Post

Seamless WiFi transfer

[link to this post]

Hi.

I live in an apartment with 2 floors and the floor seems to block nearly all of the
signal from upstairs. I currently have a set of home plugs with an access point plugged in
downstairs. Setting the same SSID doesn't seem to help and requires forced reconnects now
and again so I currently just use separate SSIDs and connect manually.

Is there any consumer access points that allow seamless transfer between them, each with the
same SSID? Preferably wireless AC but depending on the cost Wireless N should be fine.

Thanks in advance,
Swervinc.
Standard User BatBoy
(sensei) Wed 27-Apr-16 20:55:51
Print Post

Re: Seamless WiFi transfer

[re: swervinc] [link to this post]

What devices are you roaming with, Apple?

Edited by BatBoy (Wed 27-Apr-16 21:01:31)

Standard User ian007jen
(committed) Wed 27-Apr-16 20:59:23
Print Post

You will probably require something like these http://www.broadbandbuyer.co.uk/products/16827-ubiqu....

Have a browse of the site and perhaps give them a ring, they do seem very knowledgable.

Ian

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User swervinc
(member) Wed 27-Apr-16 21:03:39
Print Post

[re: BatBoy] [link to this post]

Everything really, Apple, Android and Windows.
Standard User BatBoy
(sensei) Wed 27-Apr-16 21:12:09
Print Post

I know Apple has problems because in the consumer environment devices are designed to hang on to an access point rather than roam, although this behaviour was modified in iOS 8 and 9 which roam a bit better. Apple in the enterprise roams a lot better and is more configurable.

Don't know about Android.

Windows PC's allow you to make their roaming more aggressive in the Network Adapter Advanced properties.
Standard User ukhardy07
(knowledge is power) Wed 27-Apr-16 22:10:08
Print Post

My iPhone and macbook seem to roam between APs seamlessly. Same with Windows Laptop.

I just used ISP supplied routers, all hard wired in to one another with DHCP turned off on the extra ones.

I found homeplugs took forever to assign an IP address so my connection would drop for a while as I roamed. Same with WiFi extenders.

The only solution I found was a hard wire between all my routers / APs.

I now have my router centrally though so removed this setup. Worked fine for years though.
  Print Thread

Jump to